salary range in the usa
Thread poster: petou

petou
Local time: 03:33
English
Jul 1, 2005

Dear all,

I am planning to send cvs in the USA for a position of in-house translator/project manager. I am postgraduated, translate from English and Spanih into French. I also have 4 years experience as a project manager.
Any idea of the salary range I can expect?
Thanks a lot. Carole

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Depends on many factors Jul 1, 2005

petou wrote:

Hi Carole:

It depends very much on many things, such as where (houses, rents and the cost of living in general cost quite a lot more in certain places - e.g., New York, Silicon Valley, Seattle - than in others - e.g., the Mid West).
Also depends on whether the position you are seeking is an entry level one (no work experience) or not, whether it is for in house translator OR project manager (or a combination of the two things), and also on whether you are looking for a translation company or for some ther type of company (e.g., a software firm with some translation staff).

With all that in mind, I believe that the range might be between 35,000 gross or even less (which is quite low), and maybe 55,000 gross, if you have experience. Bear in mind that your take home pay will be quite lower than that, depending on the payroll taxes that will be deducted (federal income tax, medicare, unemployment tax, state income tax, local taxes, etc.).

I think that the ATA has a compensation survey for sale, with exactly this kind of information.

Mark Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
Indonesian to English
+ ...
They sure do. Jul 1, 2005

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

petou wrote:

I think that the ATA has a compensation survey for sale, with exactly this kind of information.

The ATA does have a compensation survey available (although they only list the 2003 version on their publications page). See here:

ATA Publications

Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ATA salary survey Jul 2, 2005

At the moment, only the 2003 survey is available, as the 2005 survey is currently being compiled.

mark oliver wrote:

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

petou wrote:

The ATA does have a compensation survey available (although they only list the 2003 version on their publications page). See here:

ATA Publications

Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
expectations re an in-house position Jul 2, 2005

Not at all sure what you mean by postgraduated.

There are few in-house translation positions in the U.S., except in specialized industries and some translation companies. There are many more project manager positions.

As others have mentioned, salaries are all over the place depending on location, the company itself and the candidate's qualifications.

Then there are the NGOs (UN, UNDP, etc.) and IFIs (WB, IMF, IDB, IIC, etc.), which also have a wide salary, but it's around twice what most translation companies pay. Most folks I know who work at these institutions earn closer to the 70-100,000 range.

The best thing you can do is look at the on-line classified ads (monster.com, The New York Times, and the Washington Post are a good start).
petou wrote:

Dear all,

I am planning to send cvs in the USA for a position of in-house translator/project manager. I am postgraduated, translate from English and Spanih into French. I also have 4 years experience as a project manager.
Thanks a lot. Carole

petou
Local time: 03:33
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Jul 4, 2005

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer, and yours advices. They'll be very useful.

Best regards
Carole

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

salary range in the usa

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search