Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Freelancer in UK invoicing Spain - VAT registration!
Thread poster: Michael Boone
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hobnobbing Oct 7, 2020

Sorry Chris. You're bang on there. I'm a little behind biscuits-wise. Now I think about it, the Hobnobs were just arriving on stage when I skedaddled. Although I hope the Battenberg is still around.

Christopher Schröder

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Computer says no Oct 7, 2020

From what I can gather, it's a classic case of the Hacienda 'computer says no' so all they need is a number to enter. In the past I've given my UTR and also my NI number and I'm yet to receive a visit from either tax authority...but I've always got a packet of custard creams at the ready just in case. I personally think custard creams strike the right balance between drying up wet tea and not being too show-offy. I think there's a foosty box of polverones at the back of the cupboard, too, just i... See more
From what I can gather, it's a classic case of the Hacienda 'computer says no' so all they need is a number to enter. In the past I've given my UTR and also my NI number and I'm yet to receive a visit from either tax authority...but I've always got a packet of custard creams at the ready just in case. I personally think custard creams strike the right balance between drying up wet tea and not being too show-offy. I think there's a foosty box of polverones at the back of the cupboard, too, just in case the Spanish decide to take a stand against this numberless madness once and for all and arrive at my door demanding answers.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Thomas Pfann
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Tom in London

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just by coincidence ... Oct 7, 2020

... I rang the tax department here about all this, asking if they'd like to come round to discuss it, and I made sure I mentioned polvorones. He said "Just a minute", and I could hear him talking about it in the background, and then someone else said "Get real, this is October, they're probably from last Christmas, and nobody's going to be selling any for Christmas this year, because we all have to social distance, so make sure you ask him the sell-by date", and then a woman chipped in, "See if ... See more
... I rang the tax department here about all this, asking if they'd like to come round to discuss it, and I made sure I mentioned polvorones. He said "Just a minute", and I could hear him talking about it in the background, and then someone else said "Get real, this is October, they're probably from last Christmas, and nobody's going to be selling any for Christmas this year, because we all have to social distance, so make sure you ask him the sell-by date", and then a woman chipped in, "See if he has any chocolate palmeras instead", and then I could just make out another woman a bit farther away saying, "Yes, but from Arrese, not any old palmeras", but by that time I'd hung up. The way these people waste your time.

I'd stick my neck out, though, and say that the sheer novelty value of custard creams would swing it with a Spaniard, and the same goes for polvorones, even despite the foostiness, for a UK-taxman scenario. So it looks like the contents of your cupboard meet all criteria. Sorted.

[Edited at 2020-10-07 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Angela B

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Foosty Oct 7, 2020

Foosty’s a new one for me.

My first thought was that it sounded like an adjective that should best stay in the privacy of the bedroom. But how could that apply to a biscuit?

So then I wondered if it was some variant on feisty related to that Scottish moose that’s always loose around the hoose. (Which isn’t entirely off the wall given that it’s pronounced feasty around here.)

And then I looked it up (obviously skipping the urban dictionary, which se
... See more

My first thought was that it sounded like an adjective that should best stay in the privacy of the bedroom. But how could that apply to a biscuit?

So then I wondered if it was some variant on feisty related to that Scottish moose that’s always loose around the hoose. (Which isn’t entirely off the wall given that it’s pronounced feasty around here.)

And then I looked it up (obviously skipping the urban dictionary, which seems to define everything as a hideous disease of the privates transmitted through unusual sexual practices involving a camel, a wombat and Hilary Clinton).

It’s a great word. It seems to add a whole new layer of mingingness to what could just have been a mouldy biscuit.

Perhaps I should move to Scotland. Would make a nice change from everything being tidy, butt.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Angela B

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Digressions into the semantics of Scots Oct 7, 2020

Chris S wrote:

And then I looked it up (obviously skipping the urban dictionary, which seems to define everything as a hideous disease of the privates transmitted through unusual sexual practices involving a camel, a wombat and Hilary Clinton).

It’s a great word. It seems to add a whole new layer of mingingness to what could just have been a mouldy biscuit.

Perhaps I should move to Scotland. Would make a nice change from everything being tidy, butt.

I'm hoping your comma was intentional there and you are referring to the quintessentially Glaswegian tendency to finish sentences with 'but'? As in 'That's a foosty polveron, but.' or 'Can ye no just use your National Insurance number, but?'

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No butts Oct 7, 2020

A Burt wrote:
I'm hoping your comma was intentional there and you are referring to the quintessentially Glaswegian tendency to finish sentences with 'but'? As in 'That's a foosty polveron, but.' or 'Can ye no just use your National Insurance number, but?'

No, it’s a Welsh Valleys butt. I could riff away almost indefinitely on the butts of the world but humour is now banned, but.

Angela B
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:17
English to Latvian
Different countries, different principles? Oct 7, 2020

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

I don't know how it is in the UK but here in Germany I got a VAT number even though I opted out of VAT. The number is just used for identification purposes, it does not mean you need to process VAT. Ask your tax authority.

In Latvia, a private individual who wishes to undertake a business activity is assigned a "taxpayer identification number" which is identical to their VAT number, except for the lack of a country code "LV" in front. Of course, they can also apply to become a VAT payer at any point and formally receive a VAT number.

Moreover, the obligations to register as a VAT payer 1) to provide intra-EU services and 2) due to having reached a certain turnover are treated as completely separate grounds for registration here. If I want to issue a valid invoice for my translation services to a Spanish (German, French, Lithuanian, ...) business client, I am legally required to register as a VAT payer even if it's the only invoice I will ever issue to anyone. The turnover requirement becomes irrelevant in this context. Therefore, the concept of "not wanting a VAT registration but still issue legal intra-EU B2B invoices for services rendered" is a definite no-go here.

Michael Boone
Michael Boone  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
All sorted now Oct 8, 2020

My client said that everything's ok now. I will be investing in a box of custard creams very soon!
I see this is a common problem, and I also realise it's been discussed on proz "ad nauseum". However, thank you for all your kind replies.

[Edited at 2020-10-08 07:24 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but many of those posts are old and/or now irrelevant Aug 25, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

There are 296 pages of forums discussing these matters, beginning in 2001 and continuing up to just last week.

https://tinyurl.com/yydr5sak

[Edited at 2020-10-06 15:07 GMT]

expressisverbis

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting idea Aug 25, 2021

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
If all they want's a number, give them the number YP-08361-RL/450, for example, and worry about it later.

I have also, once, given a Spanish client my Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which they were happy with. But making a number up should work just as well – after all, they don't need a number, they just want one.

I'm UK-based and invoice agencies in Spain through a company. Therefore, I've been able to use the registered UK company number (as registered with Companies House).

However, I now want to stop invoicing through the company and invoice as an individual freelancer.

I'm now wondering if it will suffice to change my invoices so that they no longer reference the company and registered UK company number and instead use my UTR reference as suggested. If so, I will probably need to explain/justify why this is correct (and therefore should be acceptable to my agencies' accountants).... does anyone have any guidance on such explanation please?

Many thanks.

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mervyn? Or a question for any translator living in Spain. Do we have to have an IVA? Aug 25, 2021

I'm onboarding with a company and they've asked me for my VAT. Can I just tell them I don't have one? It's normal not to have one, right? Or should I invent a number? I really want this job!! Or, I could apply for one and send them my invoices several months late, probably. Thoughts?

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you are living in Spain... Aug 25, 2021

Zagarella Maryrose wrote:

I'm onboarding with a company and they've asked me for my VAT. Can I just tell them I don't have one? It's normal not to have one, right? Or should I invent a number? I really want this job!! Or, I could apply for one and send them my invoices several months late, probably. Thoughts?

I think you need to have one.
You must be registered with a social security scheme and also registered as a tax resident, no?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer in UK invoicing Spain - VAT registration!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »