https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/34759-invoices_for_germany_from_outside_the_european_union.html

Invoices for Germany from outside the European Union
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to English
Jul 16, 2005

Can anyone advise me?
I live in Mexico and was contacted through Proz by an agency in Germany, for whom I did a long translation-

Now they have just sent my a translated list of details that the German authorities require on an invoice.

"Every invoice must include the following information:

1. Date issued
2. A consecutive number with which the translator identifies the invoice and which the translator does not use for any other invoice (i.e. the
... See more
Can anyone advise me?
I live in Mexico and was contacted through Proz by an agency in Germany, for whom I did a long translation-

Now they have just sent my a translated list of details that the German authorities require on an invoice.

"Every invoice must include the following information:

1. Date issued
2. A consecutive number with which the translator identifies the invoice and which the translator does not use for any other invoice (i.e. the invoice number)
3. VAT ID No. or a tax number assigned by the tax authorities
4. Full name and full address of the person issuing the invoice and of the customer
5. Type and scope of service provided
6. Date of delivery
7. If necessary, the applicable rate of tax
8. The amount of tax to be paid"

I obviously don't have a tax number inside the European union, does anyone know how I can collect what I am owed?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:25
English to German
+ ...
Use your tax number, plus a standard clause Jul 16, 2005

Hi Lesley,
I suggest you use the tax number assigned by your local tax office. Also, I generally require the following wording to be added to invoices submitted by non-German service providers:

As the recipient of the services mentioned herein, you are liable for German value-added tax pursuant to section 13b (2) of the German VAT Act (UStG).

Assuming that your client is VAT-registered, this creates a VAT liability which they can offset under the 'input tax' regime. (Funny enough, a real VAT liability would result if this statement was omitted...) Check it with them beforehand, though.

Best regards,
Ralf

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Ralf Jul 16, 2005

You are wonderful, I have sent off an invoice based your advice, I hope my client will accept it

Regards

Lesley

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Ralf Jul 27, 2005

Thanks again for your help Ralf, the client was as anxious as I was to solve the problem and all is well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoices for Germany from outside the European Union

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »