Thread poster: eforni

eforni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:41
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 18, 2005

I was wondering what the common practise is in terms of proofreading. I have just done a small proofreading job for an agency who send me work on average once a month. It was such a small job it only took me about 20 mins. and it works out about £8! I normally have a minimum charge of £20 for translations, but have never had to apply min. charge to proofreading.

Is it common practice to charge the minimum rate in a case like this? I'm on good terms with the agency, who pay well and on time, and don't want to come across as greedy...

I will suggest I add it to any other jobs that might come along, but their answer is likely to be that they won't know of other jobs in advance and therefore I should send them the invoice asap.

[Edited at 2005-07-18 20:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Tell them it's for free Jul 18, 2005

I can't tell from your profile how long you're in business and I know this is not a popular standpoint, but I'd tell the agency that this one is on the house.

Some agencies will protest and you'll tell them you'll have to bill them your minimum rate. Some agencies will say thank you. You can bill them your minimum rate the next time and they won't protest.

The worst idea, imho, is to create a running account to which you add tiny amounts. I've never worked within an agency but they would be mad not to have a card index with "accepts 8 pound jobs and bills at the end of the month".

Play with it and acquire happy, well-paying customers.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2005-07-18 21:41]

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Gerard Jul 18, 2005

I, too, would call it a "freebie," but tell them that the next time you'll apply your min. charge. Freebies create goodwill.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Gerard too Jul 19, 2005

I do this too. Saves time and creates a good working relationship.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I also agree with Gerard Jul 19, 2005

It was not a big job and it creates a happy client. Especially because you said that they have been giving you work already once a month.

Do tell them though that THIS job was free because it was very small but that as a rule you apply your minimum fee.

Good luck!
Lucinda

eforni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Jul 20, 2005

Thanks everyone! I followed your tips and the client got back to say that he didn't mind the minimum charge, so I've invoiced with good conscience and have hopefully earned some brownie points at the same time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum charge for proofreading job?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search