English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 26, 2005

Dear colleagues... I had to share this:

http://boston.craigslist.org/wrg/84453105.html

"spanish to English translator needed
Reply to: anon-84453105@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-07-14, 2:03PM EDT
for one job only 6 week deadline. 165 pages single spaced. Mafia novel needs translation to English. $550.00 upon completion in 6 weeks. Only serious inquiries please."

Rather than an enquiry, I wrote this person a very serious e-mail... Unbelievable! If we do the rough calculation of 500 words per page, this is 0.006666666666666 per word.

Eugenia

[Edited at 2005-07-26 04:50]

craigs
Local time: 20:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe 6K pesos is a lot Jul 26, 2005

Eugenia Corbo wrote:

Dear colleagues... I had to share this:

http://boston.craigslist.org/wrg/84453105.html

"spanish to English translator needed
Reply to: anon-84453105@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-07-14, 2:03PM EDT
for one job only 6 week deadline. 165 pages single spaced. Mafia novel needs translation to English. $550.00 upon completion in 6 weeks. Only serious inquiries please."

Rather than an enquiry, I wrote this person a very serious e-mail... Unbelievable! If we do the rough calculation of 500 words per page, this is 0.006666666666666 per word.

Eugenia

[Edited at 2005-07-26 04:50]

I dunno how much 6,000 pesos will buy in Mexico...

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Prices in Mexico for Literary Translations Jul 26, 2005

A publisher I work for in Mexico pays 12 cents a word. SO YES, THAT OFFER IS RIDICULOUS.

Also, it is worth considering that the book being translated will be SOLD in the US (or throughout the English-speaking world), and there will be royalties. I try to give my Mexican clients discounts, but if they are going to make a profit off the translated work, I take that into consideration, too.

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:16
Spanish to English
Mexico is not cheap to live in Jul 27, 2005

6000 pesos for six weeks work in Mexico would certainly be an economic disaster, as well as a literary disaster. If anyone were to accept that payment I would hate to think what the end result would be, considering the additional talents and qualifications needed for literary translations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate offered for a literary translation into English

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search