VAT due by US company for translation done in Germany ?
Thread poster: Phoebe Lesch

Phoebe Lesch
Local time: 20:14
German to French
+ ...
Jun 25, 2002

hello,

can anyone help me out with this question : I am a Germany based translator and did a job for a US company. Do I have to ask 16 % VAT as I do for all the other jobs within Germany, or not ? The company pretends not because VAT doesn\'t exist in the US and I say yes because the \"Finanzamt\" will ask for VAT at the end of the year.

Thanks, Phoebe

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:14
English to German
+ ...
Not that I'm aware of... Jun 25, 2002

As far as I know VAT is only due on sales within Germany, and within the EU (unless the recipient of the service has a EU VAT ID).

In case of doubt, you should always check with your tax advisor.

Here are a few useful links:

www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Lexikon-Steuern-A-Z-.580.1462/.htm

www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Service/query.html?col=bmf&ht=0&qp=&qs=&qc=&pw=100%&ws=1&la=&qm=0&st=1&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&oq=&rq=0&si=0&qt=Umsatzsteuerbefreiung

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT due by US company for translation done in Germany ?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search