Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2005

Does anyone know what translators who live in the US and who work for Canadian companies/agencies on a freelance basis need to do with regard to income tax? Are they sent the Canadian equivalent of the 1099-form? Is this income reported to the US IRS or must the translator file a return with the Canadian government?

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 19:19
English to French
+ ...
As far as I know... Aug 11, 2005

Hi Jeff

My personal experience, as I also work for Canadian clients on a regular basis -now I may be mistaken

I think Form 1099 only exists in the US, no other country has those.

Second, if you're living in the US, you only file a return with the American IRS no matter where the income came from, as the $$$ went to a US party.

The Canadian tax office doesn't know us, we're not on
... See more
Hi Jeff

My personal experience, as I also work for Canadian clients on a regular basis -now I may be mistaken

Second, if you're living in the US, you only file a return with the American IRS no matter where the income came from, as the $$$ went to a US party.

The Canadian tax office doesn't know us, we're not on their books!

My two (American) cents

Sarah

[Edited at 2005-08-11 20:43]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 11, 2005

Thanks Sarah!

sarahl wrote:

Hi Jeff

The Canadian tax office doesn't know us, we're not on their books!

My two (American) cents

Sarah

[Edited at 2005-08-11 20:43]

[Edited at 2005-08-11 21:20]

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Totally agree with Sarah Aug 11, 2005

I just want to add another two cents and say I totally agree with Sarah. One of my most regular clients is from Canada and this is how I've been doing it. The only exception is if you are a dual citizen.
Best,
Lindsay

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Agree with Sarah Aug 12, 2005

I am a Canadian citizen currently residing in the US. Before leaving Canada I checked with the tax office. The indicated that, while living abroad, I do not have to pay Canadian taxes, even if I work with Canadian companies. I only have to file my US tax return every year. My two cents.

[Edited at 2005-08-12 00:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Income taxes in Canada for US translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »