Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2005

Does anyone know what translators who live in the US and who work for Canadian companies/agencies on a freelance basis need to do with regard to income tax? Are they sent the Canadian equivalent of the 1099-form? Is this income reported to the US IRS or must the translator file a return with the Canadian government?

xxxsarahl
Local time: 06:11
English to French
+ ...
As far as I know... Aug 11, 2005

Hi Jeff

My personal experience, as I also work for Canadian clients on a regular basis -now I may be mistakenicon_smile.gif

I think Form 1099 only exists in the US, no other country has those.

Second, if you're living in the US, you only file a return with the American IRS no matter where the income came from, as the $$$ went to a US party.

The Canadian tax office doesn't know us, we're not on their books!icon_lol.gif

My two (American) cents

Sarah

[Edited at 2005-08-11 20:43]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 11, 2005

Thanks Sarah!

sarahl wrote:

Hi Jeff

My personal experience, as I also work for Canadian clients on a regular basis -now I may be mistakenicon_smile.gif

I think Form 1099 only exists in the US, no other country has those.

Second, if you're living in the US, you only file a return with the American IRS no matter where the income came from, as the $$$ went to a US party.

The Canadian tax office doesn't know us, we're not on their books!icon_lol.gif

My two (American) cents

Sarah

[Edited at 2005-08-11 20:43]

[Edited at 2005-08-11 21:20]

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Totally agree with Sarah Aug 11, 2005

I just want to add another two cents and say I totally agree with Sarah. One of my most regular clients is from Canada and this is how I've been doing it. The only exception is if you are a dual citizen.
Best,
Lindsay

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Agree with Sarah Aug 12, 2005

I am a Canadian citizen currently residing in the US. Before leaving Canada I checked with the tax office. The indicated that, while living abroad, I do not have to pay Canadian taxes, even if I work with Canadian companies. I only have to file my US tax return every year. My two cents.

[Edited at 2005-08-12 00:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Income taxes in Canada for US translator

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search