Thread poster: Paul Kozelka
Paul Kozelka
Paul Kozelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2005

Having once dinged the outsourcer on the BB (and gotten paid!), I now find he is again well in arears (and seems to pay women translators but not men, according to BB entries). ProZ has agreed to consider my request that we be allowed to make up to 2 entries so that colleagues can be adequately warned. That said, I am now interested in finding a collection agency in France (since I do not live there) and would appreciate hearing of other colleagues' experience with c.a.'s. E.g., the outsourcer d... See more
Having once dinged the outsourcer on the BB (and gotten paid!), I now find he is again well in arears (and seems to pay women translators but not men, according to BB entries). ProZ has agreed to consider my request that we be allowed to make up to 2 entries so that colleagues can be adequately warned. That said, I am now interested in finding a collection agency in France (since I do not live there) and would appreciate hearing of other colleagues' experience with c.a.'s. E.g., the outsourcer did send me a P.O. but what is this worth to a collection agency? It's less important to me what the fee will be than that I get something out of it and let the oursourcer know that this is business and not an "I like you so you get paid" sort of deal.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Updated entries only permitted if you have worked for the same outsourcer again Aug 15, 2005

Hi Paul,
Slightly OT, but please note the relevant entry in the BB FAQ:

Having once dinged the outsourcer on the BB (and gotten paid!), I now find he is again well in arears (and seems to pay women translators but not men, according to BB entries). ProZ has agreed to consider my request that we be allowed to make up to 2 entries so that colleagues can be adequately warned.

BB FAQ 18:

Can I make more than one entry per outsourcer?

Yes, you may make one entry per outsourcer per year--provided that you have worked for the outsourcer again before adding an additional entry. You may not make multiple entries on the basis of a single experience.

I take it that you did work again for the same outsourcer, but as the function is still relatively new, I wanted to point this out in some more detail.

Best regards,
Ralf

Paul Kozelka
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Entries to the BB Aug 15, 2005

Thanks for the clarification, Ralph. I am pleased to note that ProZ has such a complete set of rules and information, and remiss for not having found time to read everything. As I commented in my support ticket, the BB should clearly not become a forum for shouting matches. However, having had trouble with the same outsourcer twice in 3 months, I note that he about breaks even (50/50) on good vs. bad evaluations regarding payment. If I were checking out this outsourcer for the first time, I'd be... See more
Thanks for the clarification, Ralph. I am pleased to note that ProZ has such a complete set of rules and information, and remiss for not having found time to read everything. As I commented in my support ticket, the BB should clearly not become a forum for shouting matches. However, having had trouble with the same outsourcer twice in 3 months, I note that he about breaks even (50/50) on good vs. bad evaluations regarding payment. If I were checking out this outsourcer for the first time, I'd be left wondering but still maybe "take a chance". Since the BB seems, to my knowledge, to be the only such resource going (at least in its highly useable form) it might be worthwhile doing a survey of members to see if they would find a 2-entry per year rule helpful. There surely must be other agencies with a similarly mixed record. I seem to recall there being some policy about what happens to BB listings that get 2 or more ratings below a certain level and would appreciate clarification on that. Also, I am curious about the rule stating that one can "call in" other opinions (contributions?) about a particular outsourcer. I would be please to receive a bit more information about how this works and its purpose before trying my hand.

In closing, let me just add that the level of communication at ProZ is extremely impressive and...helpful!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details Aug 15, 2005

Hi Paul,
However, having had trouble with the same outsourcer twice in 3 months, I note that he about breaks even (50/50) on good vs. bad evaluations regarding payment. If I were checking out this outsourcer for the first time, I'd be left wondering but still maybe "take a chance".

What we (=Jobs/BB moderators) recommend whenever there's such a 'mixed' or otherwise unclear picture is to touch base with other members who posted entries.

Since the BB seems, to my knowledge, to be the only such resource going (at least in its highly useable form) it might be worthwhile doing a survey of members to see if they would find a 2-entry per year rule helpful.

Good point - why don't you propose one (using the Suggest a poll link on the Quick Polls page)?

I seem to recall there being some policy about what happens to BB listings that get 2 or more ratings below a certain level and would appreciate clarification on that.

See the ProZ.com Termination Policy.

Also, I am curious about the rule stating that one can "call in" other opinions (contributions?) about a particular outsourcer. I would be please to receive a bit more information about how this works and its purpose before trying my hand.

Members can call for entries regarding a specific outsourcer every 30 days, using the Call for entries link (under Options, on the top right of each BB record). This triggers notification e-mails to all those members who have opted to receive them.

Best regards,
Ralf

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Payment problems with French outsourcers Aug 15, 2005

Hi Paul
You might want to read this forum
http://www.proz.com/topic/34536
As I already explained there, the first thing to do when dealing with France is to send a double certified letter (with the receipt getting back to you after delivery). Preferably in French of course.
If you can't do it from Brazil, ask an "huissier de justice" in France to do it for you. This is the most leg
... See more
Hi Paul
You might want to read this forum
http://www.proz.com/topic/34536
As I already explained there, the first thing to do when dealing with France is to send a double certified letter (with the receipt getting back to you after delivery). Preferably in French of course.
If you can't do it from Brazil, ask an "huissier de justice" in France to do it for you. This is the most legal, effective and cheaper way (the latter if you can manage with the letter by yourself.)

Florence
Collapse

Paul Kozelka
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like just what I need Aug 15, 2005

Hi, Florence,

Many thanks for what looks to be just what I need. Since my first ding on the BB got action, the registered letter w/ return receipt might just do the trick. And I am sure the site on how to find a huissier will be of assistance to more people than just myself. I appreciate the information and the collegial solidarity.

Best regards,
Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking a Collection Agency in France and Advice

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »