Danger in using Paypal ??
Thread poster: Corinne O'Connor

Corinne O'Connor
France
Local time: 19:56
English to French
Aug 21, 2005

Hello to everyone. I hesitate using the Paypal service since I found some rather clear advice not to, specifically from two web sites I found on the subject:
http://www.paypalsucks.com/
http://www.paypalwarning.com/

Any comments on this please ?? Many thanks
Korinn


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Burkhard Ziegler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Russian to German
+ ...
indicated sites - another way of phishing/hoax Aug 21, 2005

Hi, hmmmmm...,

I did not even visit these sites...

But I am afraid that some sites are a kind of falsified warning (hoax) and even might install a Troyan (sorry for my English), let's say a spy programme that might abuse your paypal and online banking data, on your computer. But this is a thought, only and I don't assume any repsonsibility for it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

MODERATOR
I like it Aug 21, 2005

It provides clients with an instant payment method, which is worth the few dollars that can taken off. (From what I read in other fora, it's still less than what many European banks charge for cheques and non-EU bank transfers.

As for paypal sucks, you'll note that it was written by a disgruntled former employee and furthermore it's old information. IOW to be taken with a grain of salt. Like every other business hoping to remain alive, paypal is always improving its service.

HTH

Nancy


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxx@caduceus
United States
Local time: 11:56
English to German
+ ...
nothing wrong with PayPal Aug 21, 2005

I've been using PayPal for years now and so far I found nothing wrong with it. There are a lot of phishing e-mails making their rounds, but if you read up on PayPal's security information, you'll be fine.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member
English to Turkish
Happy with it so far Aug 21, 2005

Though I have to say that I have always heard two sorts of comments about PayPal: completely positive OR very negative, and nothing in between. It might be that their services are not optimal for each country, or to be more precise, those located in the US and Germany -like I am- seem to be the happiest customers.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

MODERATOR
They are very clear about security measures Aug 21, 2005

Renate Cisne wrote:
if you read up on PayPal's security information, you'll be fine.


The first golden rule: never use an incoming e-mail to access your account. True PayPal e-mails tell you to go to their secure website to access your account, and the fakos have it rigged so you'll unwittingly give them your info via e-mail.

It's easy! when you need to deal with PayPal, just go to their secure site and log in using your password. Then you know for usreyou are dealing with genuine article, and thus should have no problems.

HTH

Nancy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
German to English
+ ...
I would *not* use it Aug 21, 2005

Hate to break with the crowd here, but I personally would not use it, for those very reasons. I've just heard too many horror stories, including from people I know. Search the forums and you'll find a number of postings on this issue, for instance:

http://www.proz.com/post/95878#95878
http://www.proz.com/topic/14971?start=15

I maintain bank accounts in the US and Europe and would much rather pay (or share) potential charges for bank transfers than undergo that risk. To quote Olaf Reibedanz from this page: http://www.proz.com/topic/14971?start=15

"Paypal may not be a fraudulent company but they can make your life hell when you try to withdraw your money."
...
"My conclusion: 1. They are either utterly disorganized or they are cheaters."


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 22:56
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Yes Aug 22, 2005

Michele Johnson wrote:

Hate to break with the crowd here, but I personally would not use it, for those very reasons. I've just heard too many horror stories, including from people I know. Search the forums and you'll find a number of postings on this issue, for instance:

http://www.proz.com/post/95878#95878
http://www.proz.com/topic/14971?start=15

I maintain bank accounts in the US and Europe and would much rather pay (or share) potential charges for bank transfers than undergo that risk. To quote Olaf Reibedanz from this page: http://www.proz.com/topic/14971?start=15

"Paypal may not be a fraudulent company but they can make your life hell when you try to withdraw your money."
...
"My conclusion: 1. They are either utterly disorganized or they are cheaters."



In addition, I tried to cancel my account with PayPal, however, they keep trying to make me reactivate my account!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
cologne  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
Never had any problems Aug 22, 2005

I've never had any problems with Paypal, nor any problems withdrawing my money.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
Local time: 19:56
Member
English to Danish
+ ...
No probs here Aug 22, 2005

I have never had any problems receiving or withdrawing money from Paypal either. I even changed my bank details without any problems.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
No problems here Aug 22, 2005

Hi Korinn, hi colleagues,

I have been very happy using Paypal so far, and I think I started using it some two years ago. I read lots of negative comments and saw whole websites like paypalsucks, etc. But for me it has worked out so far. I even got through their phone support and was helped within a few minutes when I needed it once.

Transactions are fast (seconds to another Paypal account and a few days to my bank account) and cheaper than checks or bank transfers to some countries.

Nonetheless, I always make sure that I never have more than a few hundred euros on the account (just in case).

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-08-22 16:41]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Corinne O'Connor
France
Local time: 19:56
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Bottom between two chairs....??! Aug 24, 2005

Hello everyone

Warmest thanks for your kind replies - you've certainly given me food for thought...Perhaps an idea would be to use Paypal for small amounts and banks for larger one..?!

Many thanks again!
Korinn


Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Hi Korinn, hi colleagues,

I have been very happy using Paypal so far, and I think I started using it some two years ago. I read lots of negative comments and saw whole websites like paypalsucks, etc. But for me it has worked out so far. I even got through their phone support and was helped within a few minutes when I needed it once.

Transactions are fast (seconds to another Paypal account and a few days to my bank account) and cheaper than checks or bank transfers to some countries.

Nonetheless, I always make sure that I never have more than a few hundred euros on the account (just in case).

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-08-22 16:41]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Danger in using Paypal ??

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search