Alexandra Duckitt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2005

Hello!

As a relative newbie I'm looking for some guidance as regards quotations to agencies. In ballpark terms what percentage of their "normal" (i.e. direct-to-the-customer) rate do freelancers charge to agencies?

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You will have to do your own research Aug 22, 2005

Hi Alexandra,

In general, you will have to do your own research, by looking at web sites of agencies for any clues.

As a rule of thumb, agencies will (reluctantly) pay you an absolute maximum of half of what they charge the customer. However, you (being an individual, not an agency) cannot charge your direct customers what they charge theirs. You might possibly squeeze out of your direct customers about 2 cents per word more than the agencies pay you - but you will really have to stand your ground in order to get even that.

The only power you will ever gain, to be paid more by anybody (agencies or direct clients), is if you build up a reputation for reliable work - and that takes time.

Astrid

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 22, 2005

Thank you for your advice!

Surtees
Spanish to English
+ ...
75% Aug 22, 2005

Hi Alexandra!

As Astrid says, it varies widely and is essentially a question of supply and demand (i.e. how much do you want/need the work, how much is the agency prepared/able to pay, taking factors such as reliability and quality of translator into account, etc.).

Having made that proviso, however, I can tell you that my 'agency rate' is around 75% of the rate I charge direct clients and I would be loathe to accept anything lower than that.

Hope that's of some help.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Quotations to Agencies Aug 22, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, you (being an individual, not an agency) cannot charge your direct customers what they charge theirs.

Erm... why not, out of interest?

Marc

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My opinion Aug 22, 2005

Hi Alexandra,

Probably many times you won't know how much they charge to their clients.

You may want to check the average translators charge in your language pair(s) and take any point as your basis for quoting agencies. There are some agencies who want to pay you low rates because, they argue, are in a lower market. So, if your basis is a given rate in any currency, you are to get a standard income based on it and not on a pecentage of the agencies income.

I hope this helps.

Elías

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
I really don't see why not Aug 22, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, you (being an individual, not an agency) cannot charge your direct customers what they charge theirs.

I charge my direct clients more than the agencies do. Agencies get lower and lower (this is a competitive world), especailly if they are responding to tenders, whereas if a direct client asks me to work for him, I can charge normal rates.

By the way, good agencies take care of their good translators and pay them well - for instance 70% or two-thirds of what they charge the client. If an agency asks you to work for 0,05 € or 0,06 € this means that they haven't been able to sell the translation very well, and you can ask yourself if they are sufficiently well organized to pay you.

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too...- Aug 23, 2005

I also charge my direct clients a lot more than what the agencies are willing to pay me, and I probably charge the direct clients more than the agencies do...

The way I see it is that when a direct client chooses to work with an individual translator he wants a more direct contact, consistency in the output, a certain profile to be matched etc. Sometimes it's even a question of confidentiality - only one person having contact with a certain document, for example.

I agree that the agencies are probably cutting down the prices, as an agency owner with whom I used to work told me that in order to get projects, he had to cut prices... Well, I'm sorry, but this is a business decision, and if that's good for him, ok. But, at that particular moment, it wasn't good for me, and I didn't accept the job.

At the end of the day, they might end up losing clients due to quality problems.

After all, the client never accepts the excuse of "but with the prices you pay me..." for receiving a bad translation. They expect the same quality, as they should. It's up to us, as the providers, to set limits and say: "sorry, for this amount of money I couldn't offer the same quality".

Don't sell yourself low and accept the offers that make sense to you.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Easy to check Aug 23, 2005

Just choose a chunk of text and let some agencies bid for the translation. Then you know how much they charge on average.
Regards
Heinrich

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful advice Aug 23, 2005

Many thanks to all of you for the useful pointers - I appreciate your having taken the time to answer!

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotations to Agencies

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search