URGENT!!!! Help with Trados rates
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 06:34
English to Spanish
Aug 23, 2005

Hello everybody!
I'm in dire need of help regarding rates with Trados. The thing is I've undertaken a job with an agency and my wordcount differs from theirs. I think perhaps I'm making a mistake counting as new words those which are really repetitions. Let me give you an example:
When I run the Analyse tool on Translator's Workbench, let's say the final wordcount for a file is 751 repetitions, 87 100%, 34 85%, 49 75% and 1580 No Match. For me everything is new words, except for the repetitions. Am I wrong? Because I think the agency is counting everything as repetitions, except of course the No Match. Are they wrong?
Can anyone help me please? I don't want to look like a novice before the agency's eyes but certainly I don't want to get underpaid.
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados Aug 24, 2005

751 repetitions - 1/3 of your normal rate
87 100% - 1/3 of your normal rate
34 85% - fuzzy match - 2/3 of your normal rate
49 75% - fuzzy match - normal rate
1580 No Match - normal rate

This is how I would invoice. 100% matches are the segments Trados found in your memory before you started the job.

If you agreed not to get paid for repetitions and full matches then you would disregard the 1/3 of your normal rate part.

Some customers see fuzzy matches higher than 84% as full matches.

xxxPRen  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
And you should... Aug 24, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

If you agreed not to get paid for repetitions and full matches then you would disregard the 1/3 of your normal rate part.

And you should disregard the repetitions and full matches! Tell the client that if you're not getting paid for them, you simply won't look at them.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:34
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To avoid looking at the repetitions... Aug 24, 2005

Paula Rennie wrote:

And you should disregard the repetitions and full matches! Tell the client that if you're not getting paid for them, you simply won't look at them.

Don't use the normal command (the one with the pareentesis) at the Trados toolbar. Go to the other toolbar, where it says "Trados" and click on SET/CLOSE GO TO THE NEXT NO 100% MATCH.

In such way, you won't waste time looking at translations which are not yours.

Regards,

Clarisa

Débora D'Eramo
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody!!! But I still don't understand Aug 24, 2005

Let me give you my final wordcount and the agency's:
I get:
18294 100%
12 85%
14 75%
308 No Match
Total 18701
The agency says:
13484 new words
3083 repetitions
I'm at a loss, the difference is substantial. Maybe I'm running the wordcount in the wrong way. I don't know what to do, I'm supposed to deliver the job today, but I still don't have this clear. Please give me a hand!

[Edited at 2005-08-24 12:03]

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Are you analyzing against your own TM? Aug 24, 2005

Then you may get matches, your agency does not. Create a new, blank TM and analyse against it.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 13:09]

Débora D'Eramo
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
that's it Aug 24, 2005

Thanks, Robert, that seemed to be the problem. I checked it against a new TM and everything looks similar to the agency's count.
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT!!!! Help with Trados rates

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search