Discount for errors in delivered translation...
Thread poster: xxxncfialho
xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:40
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 4, 2005

Hi,
I asked a colleague to make a tranlsation for me (private) and when it came back, there were translation and orthographical errors in it...so I thought maybe if I ever outsource a job again I would establish some kind of list like >5 ortographical errors = 5% disocunt on agreed price...do you think that is a way to try to make people work better?
I work a lot for agencies and they dont have that kind of clauses in their PO's or contracts, but if I would deliver a job with obvious errors I would offer my client a discount, would'nt you?

Have nice day,
Natália

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
simplistic Sep 4, 2005

Natália Fialho wrote:

Hi,
I asked a colleague to make a tranlsation for me (private) and when it came back, there were translation and orthographical errors in it...so I thought maybe if I ever outsource a job again I would establish some kind of list like >5 ortographical errors = 5% disocunt on agreed price...do you think that is a way to try to make people work better?
I work a lot for agencies and they dont have that kind of clauses in their PO's or contracts, but if I would deliver a job with obvious errors I would offer my client a discount, would'nt you?

Have nice day,
Natália

Hi Natália

Some errors can be easily quantified (e.g. spelling errors), but many cannot (a misinterpretation of a phrase or sentence, style, etc), so it would be difficult to apply a system that would be objective and fair, and not open to dispute.

The only real approach is to be sure you choose someone you can trust and not to hand out work until you actually find someone. You may decide to systematically locate someone, test them etc, or simply wait until you develop a relationship with a colleague and decide that all the evidence points to this person being a professional.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
My deepest sympathy Sep 4, 2005

Experiences like this one illustrate why agencies are not necessarily parasites and why they can and should ask for higher rates than freelance translators.

I know many translators (including myself) who have abandoned outsourcing because of incidents like this one, which can even happen with colleagues proven in former projects.

Next time when I will feel like outsourcing, my approach will be to start with very small packages and give a 100% feedback so that mistakes and different ideas of any kind could rather be avoided instead of having to be corrected.

My concept is to increase the package size in steps of 300, 1000, 3000, 10000 words so that the editing effort for each package will presumably stay about the same - or to end the cooperation before it would become to costly and frustrating for both sides.

Evidently, this bidirectional education by discussion will only be worthwhile for large and well paid projects.

Take care

Harry

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
outsourcing is potentially very risky Sep 5, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

I know many translators (including myself) who have abandoned outsourcing because of incidents like this one, which can even happen with colleagues proven in former projects.

Harry

Yes, I am one who learned the hard way. So what I did was gradually build up a relationship with a pair of colleagues who are totally reliable, and when I need to offload work, I ask them, and sometimes I take a cut (if I'm being paid sufficiently) and sometimes not (it's a question of keeping my regulars supplied so they don't feel they have to find an alternative provider). I always review the work, not necessarily to check, but becuase I am ultimately responsible to my client, and becuase I should know the content and any problems in case the client asks me.

If you decide that you want to outsource, you will need to set up a system for evaluating translators and minimising risk, such as the one suggested by Harry.

Good luck:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discount for errors in delivered translation...

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search