Noelia Fernández Vega
Noelia Fernández Vega  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:44
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2005

Dear collegues:

An American client have asked me for invoce but he hasn't paid yet. The question is what do you do in a situation like that?

Thanks to everybody and regards

Noelia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-13 10:13]

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
Remark payment conditions (due date) on invoice Sep 13, 2005

It's normal that a client demands an invoice before payment.

Sign in: the standard content and something like "due to complete payment untill YYYY-MM-DD by bank transfer/paypal etc. to account YXZ.

An invoice itself is not to be considered as a proof of payment done but an invitation to pay.

Of course, I know that e.g. in Spain a factura even without a paid remarque is considered as for paid. Don't worry, send an invoice to your client with the due remarque
... See more
It's normal that a client demands an invoice before payment.

Sign in: the standard content and something like "due to complete payment untill YYYY-MM-DD by bank transfer/paypal etc. to account YXZ.

An invoice itself is not to be considered as a proof of payment done but an invitation to pay.

Of course, I know that e.g. in Spain a factura even without a paid remarque is considered as for paid. Don't worry, send an invoice to your client with the due remarque.

Regards, Burkhard
Collapse

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Invoice needed for payment... Sep 13, 2005

Hi Noelia,

well, that's the point of sending an invoice: You tell the customer how much he owes you after you have completed your job and then he pays...

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your problem.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Invoice vs receipt Sep 13, 2005

Burkhard Ziegler wrote:

Of course, I know that e.g. in Spain a factura even without a paid remarque is considered as for paid.

I've never heard of that before! (But of course it's a big world...)
In my eyes that would be no "invoice" but a "receipt".

Regards
Antje

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
Invoice is a must Sep 13, 2005

Antje Harder wrote:

Hi Noelia,

well, that's the point of sending an invoice: You tell the customer how much he owes you after you have completed your job and then he pays...

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your problem.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

I agree with Antje. I usually prepare the invoices at the end of the month, with all the translation jobs I have done during that period for each agency. Without special agreements, the payment is 30 days after date of invoice (EC standard).

Maria Asis
Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Invoice issued = Invoice paid for tax purposes Sep 13, 2005

Burkhard Ziegler wrote:

Of course, I know that e.g. in Spain a factura even without a paid remarque is considered as for paid.

Antje, I think Burkhard means that tax authorities require that you always consider all invoices issued, regardless of they having been paid or not, for your tax payment.

Tax authorities, at least here in Spain, don't care if a customer doesn't pay. All invoices, no matter if it says "PAID", have to be considered. If you issue an invoice, prepare the corresponding tax for payment.

HTH!

María José

[Edited at 2005-09-13 09:51]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
UH? Sep 13, 2005

Burkhard Ziegler wrote:

Of course, I know that e.g. in Spain a factura even without a paid remarque is considered as for paid. Don't worry, send an invoice to your client with the due remarque.

Regards, Burkhard

I'm sorry, but this is simply not the case. (Nor does it make any sense, to be quite honest)

A "factura" (invoice) is not the same as a "recibo" (receipt).

Many years ago in Spain, on being paid for an invoice, the customer would ask you to sign it as proof that it had been paid. Needless to say, this is no longer the case.

To get back to the question at hand, if you don't send your client an invoice, you're not going to get paid.

Andy

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Invoice is the bill (request for payment) Sep 13, 2005

Noelia Fernandez Vega wrote:

Dear collegues:

An American client have asked me for invoce but he hasn't paid yet. The question is what do you do in a situation like that?

Thanks to everybody and regards

Noelia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-13 10:13]

I think you mixed up invoice and receipt. Invoice is the bill, i.e. the document that says what payment is due, why, when. A receipt is the confirmation that the invoice has been paid. Naturlly no receipt should be issued before payment.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:44
English to Italian
+ ...
Notula and fattura? Sep 13, 2005

If you pay taxes in Italy, I suggest you post this in the Italian forum where colleagues might be able to help you.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Invoices and stuff Sep 13, 2005

I just thought I would share a related post (cf. http://www.proz.com/topic/36481?post_id=260278 ).

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Definition of invoice Sep 13, 2005

Hope this will help you!
Regards
MLD

invoice
noun {C}

a list of items provided or work done together with their cost, for payment at a later time.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/invoice

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Sep 13, 2005

With all due respect, I believe anyone who has identified themself as a native speaker of English would likely know the difference between invoice and receipt.

[Edited at 2005-09-13 12:04]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
What is it then supposed to be Sep 13, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:

With all due respect, I believe anyone who has identified themself as a native speaker of English would likely know the difference between invoice and receipt.

invoice or bill or something else? You will certainly tell us.Brandis

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
American client Sep 13, 2005

Brandis wrote:

sylvie malich wrote:

invoice or bill or something else?
You will certainly tell us.Brandis

Brandis,

I take it that Sylvie is responding to Linda's suggestion that the client may have confused the terms "invoice" and "receipt".

What she's saying is that an AMERICAN customer (i.e. a native English speaker) is unlikely to confuse one thing and the other.

Andy

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cross-culture complications Sep 13, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:

It can be more complicated than it seems... I am required to issue a recibo de honorarios that states "Recibido de [client] /Cantidad de [amount]; in other words, "Received from [client], the amount of [amount]". This suggests that it is a receipt. However it functions as an invoice, i.e. clients will not begin to process the payment until they receive my signed recibo. When I was new, I questioned this, but clients and accountants all told me "that's the way it is."

[Edited at 2005-09-13 15:02]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice before or after payment?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »