Remote and in-house rates
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2005

I have already given a direct client a (hourly) rate for working for them as a home-worker.

They have now come back to me saying that for data security, they want the work to be done by me on their premises, for a period of up to 6 months. And they are asking what hourly rate I am willing to accept.

I am not sure what to say to them. I have worked onsite before, but for much shorter times and where my extra living expenses etc. were met by the client on top of my hourly/daily rates.

As a rule, what sort of mark up or down should I offer them on the rates I already quoted them as a home-based worker?

Or should I try and ask them for the same rate we agreed on, and they meet my expenses (after all 6 months isn't long enough to make it a family move etc.).

Any suggestions welcome.

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
6 months full-time? Sep 16, 2005

Hi Christopher,
there is something unclear: do they want you to work for them full-time for 6 months in their office? This would mean for you endangering the relationship with all your other customers since you won't be able to work for anyone else for 6 months. This mean that you might need to rebuild contacts after these 6 months. This is something to take into account. I would accept a full-time job in the client's office only if he paid a good salary for 6 months and an additional amount to cover at least 3 months afterwards.
It's a typical situation in which they might think they do you a favor giving you a full-time job for 6 months while in fact they compromise your ability to work with different clients (something crucial in our profession, a lesson I personally learnt the hard way).
Laura

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An area I would like to work in. Sep 16, 2005

In answer to your question, yes it would be pretty much full time.

In fact, the only reason I am considering this is that it's an area of work I would quite like to move into full time.

A full time salary with the responsibilities involved and considering the geographical location would be about € 80,000 before tax etc. But obviously, you wouldn't normally be made redundant after 6 months in most situations.

I am not sure whether its best to keep my hourly rate and ask them for all expenses. Or asking for € 80,000 p.a. pro-rata plus a severance contribution.

Suggestions?

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The American Medical Writers Association ... Sep 17, 2005

.. have a page describing how to calculate the difference and there aseems to be quite a hike up from the remote rate to the on-site rate. But if people are really asking that then....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote and in-house rates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search