https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/36875-warning_new_paypal_scam_%22security_center%22.html

Warning - New Paypal scam "Security Center"
Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:27
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 18, 2005

It's the first time it happened to me - a letter, presumably from Paypal "Security Center" with "Paypal Account Management" in the header, asking me to login for 'security reasons' as my account might have been used by unauthorized third parties. Otherwise they would suspend my account. Then there is a link, apperently leading to a paypal.com site-... See more
It's the first time it happened to me - a letter, presumably from Paypal "Security Center" with "Paypal Account Management" in the header, asking me to login for 'security reasons' as my account might have been used by unauthorized third parties. Otherwise they would suspend my account. Then there is a link, apperently leading to a paypal.com site- it states something with https:// www.paypal.com in the link. Do not follow this link, as I did, because I later read that it might put spyware on your computer. It goes to: http://www.hosanna.org.pl/modules/4nAlbum/images/.us/paypal/

I noticed it is impossible to copy-paste the text of the letter, but I warned Paypal through my Spanish branch: [email protected]. Did anybody else receive such an e-mail? The e-mail was sent last night as far as I can tell.
Anjo

[Edited at 2005-09-18 12:48]

[Edited at 2005-09-18 13:23]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
German to English
+ ...
Spamcop Sep 18, 2005

I still keep getting a few of these and similar things purportedly from PayPal, eBay and less often from banks I've never even heard of before. They all just get reported directly to Spamcop:

www.spamcop.com

See also:

http://www.proz.com/post/233238#233238

If Spamco
... See more
I still keep getting a few of these and similar things purportedly from PayPal, eBay and less often from banks I've never even heard of before. They all just get reported directly to Spamcop:

www.spamcop.com

See also:

http://www.proz.com/post/233238#233238

If Spamcop is down you can just forward the mails to:

[email protected]

or:

[email protected]

and so on. (Spamcop reports them there and to their ISP.)

I once reported one directly to the ISP through which it had been sent and got a reply stating that the perpetrators account had been suspended and that the relevant authorities had been notified. (I don't know what the penalties are for this sort of thing in all parts of the world!)

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to put a warning on the ProZ home page saying that anyone looking for victims on this site would likely be reported in this way.

These spam mails often have "phishing" viruses attached, so it is probably not good practice to save them to a folder on your email client before "dealing" with them. Report them as soon as you can and then delete them directly from your Inbox.

[Edited at 2005-09-18 15:04]
Collapse

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
Local time: 12:27
English to French
It is not interesting Sep 18, 2005

I do not have the Paypal. I am not confident in such systems. But I can understand you because it happened the same thing in my bank account. Now I think that I will not apply for Paypal even if a lot of agencies use it.

Lise

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Phishing not only related to PayPal Sep 18, 2005

Hi all,
Although scams trying to get hold of your PayPal details are widespread, they are not the only ones affected. If you take the information posted on the PayPal website seriously, you shouldn't be at risk:

from the PayPal website 'Security Tips and Fraud Prevention':
Email Security

Look for a PayPal Greeting: PayPal will never send an email with the greeting "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member." Real PayPal emails will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. If you believe you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email—including the header information—to [email protected]. We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.

Don't share personal information via email: We will never ask you to enter your password or financial information in an email or send such information in an email. You should only share information about your account once you have logged in to https://www.paypal.com/.

Don't download attachments: PayPal will never send you an attachment or software update to install on your computer.

Recently, various phishing attacks purported to come from various German banks, for example.

Best regards,
Ralf

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not against Paypal use Sep 18, 2005

Thanks for the spamcop link, very handy. I was surprised because this was the first Paypal 'phishing' email ever that went past my spam filter. The sender is stated as @paypal.com which makes it even more 'fishy'. I deleted the email after forwarding it to Paypal!
I am aware that this has nothing to do with Paypal themselves and that it also happens to (other) banks. So don't get me wrong - this is not an anti-Paypal message at all! I just thought other people night receive the same messag
... See more
Thanks for the spamcop link, very handy. I was surprised because this was the first Paypal 'phishing' email ever that went past my spam filter. The sender is stated as @paypal.com which makes it even more 'fishy'. I deleted the email after forwarding it to Paypal!
I am aware that this has nothing to do with Paypal themselves and that it also happens to (other) banks. So don't get me wrong - this is not an anti-Paypal message at all! I just thought other people night receive the same message and as I did not see any recent posts on this in the forum I thought it might do no harm to post this reminder, especially as it caught me unprepared.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not related to Paypal membership Sep 18, 2005

Lise Berthiaume wrote:
I do not have the Paypal. I am not confident in such systems. But I can understand you because it happened the same thing in my bank account. Now I think that I will not apply for Paypal even if a lot of agencies use it.

In fact, receiving these phishing scams has nothing to do with Paypal membership. I receive them too, and it's easy for me to tell that they are bogus because I am not a Paypal member. I also receive them for banks that I have never heard of, let alone that I have no account with them.

[Edited at 2005-09-18 17:25]

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Speaking of Scams Sep 19, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

Lise Berthiaume wrote:

In fact, receiving these phishing scams has nothing to do with Paypal membership. I receive them too, and it's easy for me to tell that they are bogus because I am not a Paypal member. I also receive them for banks that I have never heard of, let alone that I have no account with them.

[Edited at 2005-09-18 17:25]

Just got this threw my PROZ profile:

Hello,
I am Bishop Luke Opoko, an English speaking clergy from Ghana with All Kings church of Christ. I will be coming over to APO AE on holiday from the 20th of September to the 30th of September 2005 for a 10 day Vacation with my Russian wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My wife Rev.Lora only speaks Russian and my native language, because her mum happens to come from Ghana.
We will require the services of a Russian interpreter for 7 hours,11am to 6pm daily although this might be flexibly based on your availabilty for 10 days because I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other church functions which I most attend.
We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to the States. An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote, and immediately call me on my direct line (+233244-0243879257 and +233244-033930 ) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts ASAP, as time is not really on our side.

Remain Blessed,
His Lordship,
Bishop Luke Opoko

Spiritual Director,
All Kings Church Of Christ,
10 Nkuruma Avenue,Community 6,
Tema,Ghana.

Tel.+233244-033930 or
+233244-0243879257

Gee, I hope the Bishop doesn't have a difficult time in visiting "APO AE" in the United States. Can these guys even spell research? For those that don't know, APO AE is part of the address for military/government civilians stationed overseas. Just gotta love these knuckleheads.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning - New Paypal scam "Security Center"

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »