What daily rate/conditions for onsite work?
Thread poster: Laure Trads
Laure Trads  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:45
Member (2004)
English to French
Sep 20, 2005

Hi,

I have just been offered 4 weeks of onsite work (brochures, software, help files, etc.) in Stockholm or Zurich, some time before the end of 2005. I have no idea what to charge or what conditions to ask for. All I know is "Customer would pay for all travel and subsistence".

Could you please give me an indication of:
- what daily rate to charge?
- what conditions to ask for?

Thank you very much,
Laure

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some ideas to get the ball rolling ......... Sep 20, 2005

Assuming the working day onsite is only 8 hours:

Nothing less than your normal hourly translation rate x 8 plus all accomodation, meals and travelling expenses (type of hotel or boarding, meal allowance and form of travel all to be agreed in advance)

For your hourly translation rate consider your average hourly word/line output for the language combination and type of text, you'll be working on.

Any overtime at your normal rush hourly rate - as these types of projects normally involve working longer than a normal working day.

There is no logic in charging less esp. if you are normally busy all day. In fact I'd charge at the higher end of my scale since you are going to be out of commission for your other clients over this period - something you have to consider carefully - especially as the time leading up to Christmas is usually quite busy.

Good luck
Debs

Laure Trads  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:45
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Debs Sep 21, 2005

What you said gives me a clearer idea of what to ask for.

How about terms and conditions:
Do contractors ask for a notice period in case things don't work out?
For instance, could I ask to be paid for a week minimum?

Laure

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What daily rate/conditions for onsite work?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search