Getting paid betwwen Us and France
Thread poster: Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
France
Local time: 09:53
English to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2005

I wanted to know if you do work for American based customers and you live in France how you are getting paid because I've checked with my bank and they are charging 31€.
Is Paypal cheaper or something else ?
Thanks for your precious advices.

Direct link Reply with quote

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
Paypal and Moneybookers are cheaper Sep 21, 2005

Hello,
The cheapest and best way to have your money is to use Moneybookers or Paypal. While Paypal takes about 5 % of the amount in fees, Moneybookers only takes a few euros.
Banks definitely rip you off!

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
By check?? Sep 21, 2005

Julie,

Can you negotiate something with your bank?

I have an account with La Poste and the last time I had money coming in from the US they charged a flat fee of just 3.50 for depositing a foreign check (their standard fee, although it took about 2 weeks to clear). That was last year, though, and the fees may have gone up since.

I also have a personal account with C.E. where the fees are higher than La Poste and they recently agreed to refund the hefty service charge on a US check deposited to my account. Sometimes all you need to do is ask and you shall receive

I would avoid Paypal (read their fine print and you'll see why). I don't know anything about Moneybookers.

I would try to negotiate with your bank. If they are not forthcoming, then maybe you should change to a new bank (I know this doesn't help you with the current situation, but the banks charge enough fees and they should give you a break now and then if you ask).

Regards,

Sara

[Edited at 2005-09-21 15:32]

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
31 euros is really a lot Sep 21, 2005

My Italian bank charges me 7 euros per transfer. Something is wrong with such a huge amount.

A customer of mine pays through MoneyBookers and they deduct 1.80 Eur for each transaction from the receiver (I don't know how much they charge the sender).

HTH
Laura

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Moneybookers are okay, but... Sep 21, 2005

...in Denmark at least you should watch what exchange rate they are using!

They don't charge anything from the receiver, and I think it's rather cheap for the sender, but they make their money on lowering the exchange rates compared to the day's rate.

It does work like a charm, but it's really not cheap for the receiver. It has now ended up being cheaper for both of us if my US client sends me a check, which would cost me around 10 USD to cash in Denmark!

;o)

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Yes, that *does* seem high... Sep 21, 2005

I was just thinking about the US check I recently deposited into my personal account at C.E. The amount was significant (low five figures) and the fee was just 26 euros (which the bank then refunded). So unless the job you did was really huge, that does seem like a hefty fee.

Maybe it's time to change banks, after all!

Sara

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:53
I also use cheques Sep 21, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:
I was just thinking about the US check I recently deposited into my personal account at C.E. The amount was significant (low five figures) and the fee was just 26 euros (which the bank then refunded). So unless the job you did was really huge, that does seem like a hefty fee.

Maybe it's time to change banks, after all!

Sara

Except I do it the other way around: I have clients in the UK and France who send me cheques to the US (even though they were quite reticent to do it in the first place). This was to avoid the bank transfer fee of around 30 euros. It is true that it takes a few more days to receive the money, and then a few more days more for the cheque to be cashed, but my bank offers me that service at no charge (or so they say, but their business is in the rate of exchange they provide, which is not that bad either).

In short, for me, cheques and mail have worked best.

Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 22, 2005

Thanks all for your reply I'll submit all these possibilities with my client and see with my bank also.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting paid betwwen Us and France

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search