https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/37166-advice_concerning_a_large_project.html

Advice concerning a large project
Thread poster: trad500
trad500
trad500
Local time: 03:07
English to French
Sep 26, 2005

Hello,

I've been asked to provide a quote for the translation of a book - roughly 200,000 words (said to be 'non-technical')
Could anyone give me an indication of the average pricing, timescale (ie, assumed speed since the client didn't specify a deadline) for such a translation, as well as for proofreading and copy editing.

Thank you

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 04:07
French to Dutch
+ ...
Ask for a copy of the book Sep 26, 2005

Marie Leca wrote:

Hello,

I've been asked to provide a quote for the translation of a book - roughly 200,000 words (said to be 'non-technical')
Could anyone give me an indication of the average pricing, timescale (ie, assumed speed since the client didn't specify a deadline) for such a translation, as well as for proofreading and copy editing.

Thank you

How can you (and can we) give a price or time schedule for something you (or we) haven't seen? Firstly, what is technical? Art or history may be pretty technical as well. Secondly, who estimated the book at 200,000 words, have you checked? Thirdly, only you can estimate your own working speed. Ask for the book and translate two or three pages before taking a decision. Besides, translating in Word is not the same thing as translating from a hard copy.
The only clue I can give you is that when translating for an editor you earn about the half or one-third of the money of normal (technical) translation.

trad500
trad500
Local time: 03:07
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Precision Sep 26, 2005

The total of words is confirmed around 200,000.
I do agree it is really hard to give a quote on something we haven't seen... I did point that out to them!
I just wanted to have some feedback of people who have experience on working on such large project, i.e what is a reasonable turnaround.
Thanks Nicolette for an estimate of what to expect money-wise.

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:07
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Take into account an editor Sep 26, 2005

I once edited / translated a 200 page (small page) book. I can't tell you how many words it was. What I learned is that you must have an outside editor to editor to go over your work. Check if they will provide one or add the cost to your fees. Editing time is as significant as translation time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice concerning a large project

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »