Do I have to charge VAT?
Thread poster: xxxFullCircle
xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
Local time: 20:05
English to Dutch
Oct 18, 2005

I have done a couple of translations for someone in the UK who is not VAT registered because he doesn't make the threshold. Does anyone know whether I do have to charge this person Dutch VAT or not? Because I don't have a VAT number I should, but because he doesn't need to get one I feel I should not have to. Any experts in this area?

Thanks
Marion

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-19 14:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Consult a tax professional Oct 18, 2005

Nobody here can legally give you real advice on this, you'll really need to consult a tax professional.

Although we'd all be curious to hear the answer!

Good luck,

Steven

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Do I have to charge VAT??? Oct 18, 2005

Marion Kriele wrote:

Does anyone know whether I do have to charge this person Dutch VAT or not? Because I don't have a VAT number I should

This is not correct. If he is a legitimate business, the place of performance of the service is considered to be his location (the UK), and it is not then correct to charge Dutch VAT. This is the case regardless of whether he is VAT-registered or not - contrary to popular opinion.

Marc

P.S. I agree with Steven and recommend that you find an accountant.

[Edited at 2005-10-18 18:38]

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, you should charge VAT Oct 18, 2005

Dear Marion,

If you live and work in the Netherlands and the translation work you have carried out in the Netherlands for a person in the UK, AND you yourself are VAT registered, then you should charge 19% VAT.

You should charge only if your client is a private individual, an institute (foundation, university etc.), or a business without a VAT number. There are options to use the 0 % VAT for businesses in EU member states, providing the business is VAT registered and you're exporting goods.

Please visit the web site of the Dutch inland revenue (de belastingdienst) at http://www.belastingdienst.nl/
or at http://www.belastingdienst.nl/zakelijk/omzetbelasting/

Please note: the above only applies to you if you are VAT registered in the Netherlands. If you are not VAT registered, you are not allowed to charge any VAT to anyone

Good luck,
Saskia

[Edited at 2005-10-18 20:38]

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
No VAT to charge Oct 19, 2005

I just called the tax authorities and a very helpful guy explained to me that it is not necessary. The VAT no. issue only applies to goods and certain services.

For translation services, article 6, para 2, letter d3 applies and that means that no VAT needs to be charged as the translation is considered to be done in the country of the outsourcer.

Thanks all for you replies

Marion

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
better get that in writing... Oct 19, 2005

Hi Marion

I do not know where they found that answer (For translation services, article 6, para 2, letter d3 applies and that means that no VAT needs to be charged as the translation is considered to be done in the country of the outsourcer. )

...but you'd better get that in writing, because the tax office clearly states:

"De diensten door componisten, schrijvers en journalisten zijn vrijgesteld. Vertalers van boeken, verhalen, filmscenario's en dergelijke kunnen worden gelijkgesteld met de schrijver die het oorspronkelijke werk publiceert. Andere vertaalwerkzaamheden, zoals het vertalen van brochures, gebruiksaanwijzingen en dergelijke en vertaalwerkzaamheden voor particulieren vallen in beginsel niet onder de vrijstelling"

As Sakia answered:
If you are VAT registered yourself in NL, you should charge it to everybody within the EU, unless they are also VAT registered.

greetings
Ed Vreeburg
Translate.ED

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Three times ain't enough? Oct 19, 2005

I've checked this issue several times with the tax authorities to make absolutely sure and I'm still getting the same reply from all of them. So I'll take my chances. Since my business is small peanuts, I don't think they'll ever bother to audit me. And if they do, tough luck. Maybe, onde day when I feel up to it, I'll ask the tax authority to confirm it in writing. Then again, maybe not, because that might alarm them!

Thanks anyways for the reply.

Marion

German to English
+ ...
Do I have to charge VAT??? Oct 19, 2005

Hi Marion,

Could you please quote the name of the piece of legislation concerned, and if possible also the text of the provision? (article 6, para 2, letter d3 applies...) Then we really will have it in black and white, and can put the matter to rest once and for all - at least as far as NL is concerned.

Ed, same applies to you:

"De diensten door componisten, schrijvers en journalisten zijn vrijgesteld. Vertalers van boeken, verhalen, filmscenario's en dergelijke kunnen worden gelijkgesteld met de schrijver die het oorspronkelijke werk publiceert. Andere vertaalwerkzaamheden, zoals het vertalen van brochures, gebruiksaanwijzingen en dergelijke en vertaalwerkzaamheden voor particulieren vallen in beginsel niet onder de vrijstelling"

Could you please tell us exactly what piece of Dutch legislation this is, and why you think it has something to do with the case at hand? As I see it, "vrijgesteld" in the provision you quote refers to whether translations in the Netherlands are VAT-exempt or not. That is not the issue here: the question is whether a Netherlands-based provider of translation services is entitled to regard a business customer in another EU country as a private customer (in which case the Netherlands becomes the place of provision of the service rather than the customer's country) in the event that the customer is unable to provide a VAT ID number.

Marc

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Wet op de omzetbelasting Oct 19, 2005

Hi Marion,

Could you please quote the name of the piece of legislation concerned, and if possible also the text of the provision? (article 6, para 2, letter d3 applies...) Then we really will have it in black and white, and can put the matter to rest once and for all - at least as far as NL is concerned.

Yep, it is in the Wet op de omzetbelasting. Full text to be found on www.wetten.overheid.nl. Easy to search database for all Dutch legislation etc.

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm not sure I understand Oct 19, 2005

Dear Marion,

I am getting confused. In your original post you state that you are not VAT registered in the Netherlands, which seems your country of residence. This would imply that you are in no way allowed to charge any VAT to anyone.

I am not sure now what it is you're asking. Have you done translation work during a stay in the UK? In that case the VAT rules of the UK apply.

If, however, you are VAT registered AND you carried out the translation work in the Netherlands, you really should charge VAT to non VAT registered customers anywhere in the EU. This is clearly stated by the Belastingdienst on their web site.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Saskia

German to English
+ ...
Do I have to charge VAT? Oct 19, 2005

Saskia Steur wrote:

I am getting confused. In your original post you state that you are not VAT registered in the Netherlands

Marion said "because I don't have a VAT number". I took this to mean a VAT number of her customer. If she is not herself registered VAT, then obviously she can't charge VAT, under any circumstances. But my understanding is that she IS registered for VAT.

If, however, you are VAT registered AND you carried out the translation work in the Netherlands, you really should charge VAT to non VAT registered customers anywhere in the EU. This is clearly stated by the Belastingdienst on their web site.

Where, Saskia? Here is Article 6 of the text referred to by the tax officers Marion consulted:

Artikel 6

De plaats waar een dienst wordt verricht, is de plaats waar de ondernemer die de dienst verricht woont of is gevestigd dan wel een vaste inrichting heeft van waaruit hij de dienst verricht.

In afwijking van het eerste lid worden:

a.
de diensten welke betrekking hebben op een onroerende zaak, met inbegrip van diensten van tussenpersonen in onroerende zaken, architecten en andere deskundigen, alsmede van diensten welke erop zijn gericht de uitvoering van bouwwerken voor te bereiden of te coördineren, verricht daar waar de zaak is gelegen;
b.
de diensten, bestaande in het vervoer van personen of goederen, verricht op de plaatsen waar de feitelijke handeling van het vervoer wordt verricht;
c.
de diensten, bestaande in:

1°.
culturele, artistieke, sportieve, wetenschappelijke, onderwijs-, vermakelijkheids- of soortgelijke activiteiten;
2°.
laden, lossen of soortgelijke met vervoer samenhangende activiteiten;
3°.
werkzaamheden, deskundigenonderzoeken daaronder begrepen, met betrekking tot roerende zaken,

verricht daar waar de activiteiten of werkzaamheden feitelijk plaatsvinden;
d.
de hierna genoemde diensten welke worden verleend aan ondernemers, of aan anderen dan ondernemers voor zover zij buiten de Gemeenschap wonen of zijn gevestigd, verricht op de plaats waar degene aan wie de dienst wordt verleend, woont of is gevestigd dan wel een vaste inrichting heeft waarvoor de dienst wordt verricht:

1°.
de overdracht en het verlenen van auteursrechten, octrooirechten, licentierechten, rechten op fabrieks- en handelsmerken en andere soortgelijke rechten;
2°.
de diensten op het gebied van de reclame;
3°.
de diensten, verricht door raadgevende personen, ingenieurs, adviesbureaus, advocaten, accountants, en soortgelijke diensten, alsmede informatieverwerking en -verschaffing;
4°.
de verbintenis om een beroepsactiviteit of een onder 1° vermeld recht geheel of gedeeltelijk niet uit te oefenen;
5°.
bank-, financiële en verzekeringsverrichtingen, met uitzondering van de verhuur van safeloketten;
6°.
het beschikbaar stellen van personeel;
7°.
de verhuur van roerende zaken, met uitzondering van vervoermiddelen;
8°.
telecommunicatiediensten, te weten diensten die betrekking hebben op de transmissie, uitzending of ontvangst van signalen, tekst, beelden en geluiden of informatie van allerlei aard, via draad, radiogolven, optische of andere elektromagnetische systemen, daaronder begrepen de overdracht en het verlenen van het recht om gebruik te maken van capaciteit voor een dergelijke transmissie, uitzending of ontvangst, alsmede het verlenen van toegang tot wereldwijde informatienetten;
9°.
radio- en televisieomroepdiensten;
10°.
elektronische diensten;
11°.
het bieden van toegang tot, en van transport of transmissie via, aardgas- en elektriciteitsdistributiesystemen en het verrichten van andere daarmee rechtstreeks verbonden diensten;
12°.
het bemiddelen bij de verlening van diensten als hiervoor in dit onderdeel zijn bedoeld, door tussenpersonen die handelen op naam en voor rekening van een ander;

e.
de hierna genoemde diensten welke worden verricht door ondernemers die buiten de Gemeenschap wonen of zijn gevestigd dan wel aldaar een vaste inrichting hebben van waaruit de dienst wordt verricht, in Nederland verricht, wanneer het werkelijke gebruik en de werkelijke exploitatie in Nederland plaatsvinden:

1°.
diensten, bedoeld in onderdeel d, 1° tot en met 7°, welke worden verleend aan in Nederland gevestigde lichamen in de zin van de Algemene wet inzake rijksbelastingen, andere dan ondernemers;
2°.
diensten als bedoeld in onderdeel d, 8° en 9°, welke worden verleend aan natuurlijke personen of aan in Nederland gevestigde lichamen in de zin van de Algemene wet inzake rijksbelastingen, andere dan ondernemers;
3°.
diensten, bestaande in de verhuur van vervoermiddelen, welke worden verleend aan natuurlijke personen of lichamen in de zin van de Algemene wet inzake rijksbelastingen, die in Nederland wonen of zijn gevestigd dan wel aldaar een vaste inrichting hebben waarvoor de dienst wordt verricht;

f.
diensten als bedoeld in onderdeel d, 10°, welke worden verleend aan anderen dan ondernemers die in de Gemeenschap wonen of zijn gevestigd, door ondernemers die buiten de Gemeenschap wonen of zijn gevestigd dan wel aldaar een vaste inrichting hebben van waaruit de dienst wordt verricht, verricht op de plaats waar degene aan wie de dienst wordt verleend, woont of is gevestigd.

This is clear, surely? This article draws no distinction between businesses in other EU Member States that are VAT-registered and those that are not. If you have found other legislation making such a distinction, please quote it. I'm very curious to read it!

Marc

[Edited at 2005-10-19 14:45]

[Edited at 2005-10-19 14:45]

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I'm properly registered Oct 19, 2005

Saskia Steur wrote:

Dear Marion,

I am getting confused. In your original post you state that you are not VAT registered in the Netherlands, which seems your country of residence. This would imply that you are in no way allowed to charge any VAT to anyone.

I am registered because you ahve to in the Netherlands if you are providing services (or do anything else) for which VAT should be charged. My client, in the UK, is not because he does not meet the threshold.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Saskia

Please show me where that is stated (or copy in the text) because the guy from the tax authority told me today that the foreign VAT no. is required in case of goods and certain services (such as transportation) and that in case of services the VAT is not required. But that only pertains to the VAT no., not to charging VAT.

And it has been stated to me time and again that I do not have to charge VAT for translations within the EC (nor outside for that matter).

Cheers
Marion

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to charge VAT?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search