US check by mail in how many days??
Thread poster: Saiwai Translation Services

Saiwai Translation Services  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2005

We have done translation project for US client and they are saying that they have sent US check by mail 10 days before.

What I wanted to know is that it will take how many days to receive US check by mail?
Whether US check is safe to accept payment??

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Saiwai Oct 20, 2005

I asked the same question some time ago and I received very interesting answers.

http://www.proz.com/post/178848#178848

I keep doing my best to convince my US clients of making a bank transfer but they prefer checks, and snail mail... and I keep crossing my fingers

Regards

Claudia

Marisa Schiavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Safe but slow... Oct 20, 2005

Hi Sawai,

I do a lot of work for agencies in the US and they always send me cheques (I live in Australia). They are safe, only once a cheque got lost, they cancelled it and issued me with a new one.
The only problem is that my bank here charges me a small fee each time I deposit a cheque, so if I put a few together, I only pay that fee once, it's still cheaper than international bank transfers though.

Hope this helps!

Marisa

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:30
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Americans just looooove checks Oct 20, 2005

and it would be difficult to change that.
The problem is that it usually costs more and your account probably won't be credited until the check clears.

liora  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:30
English to Hebrew
+ ...
US Cheque Oct 20, 2005

Hey
It takes about 8 days for a cheque to get to Israel from the USA. During our holidays it took about 20 days becaus of our post office, not theirs.
I have Paypal but I have never used it, I guess something about virtual money confuses me. I guess if I took one of those ten dollar jobs I would tell them to put it in the paypal.
Shana Tova

India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 21, 2005

Thank you all for your replies.

I have to wait for check.....

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Mexico, up to 4 weeks!!! Oct 25, 2005

I was surprised to see that a check will get to Israel in 8 days. I live in Northern Mexico, and you would think because of the proximity with the US, checks wouldn't take so long to get here. Not so: a check mailed via regular U.S. mail can take up to 4 weeks to get here, and then it can take up to 21 days for my bank to clear it and for me to finally be able to access the funds.

I know for a fact, though, that the Mexican mail system is to blame in this case. When I look at the date stamps on the envelopes, I realize that the check leaves the U.S. within 3-4 days, only to get lost in Mexican red tape for the remaining 20+ days.

In any case, I prefer Paypal, as I can transfer the funds to my checking account within 5 days, definitely much faster, and my bank only charges a USD$2 fee.

Best,

Nora

India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In 12 days Oct 25, 2005

Hello!

Finally I got the check in 12 days.
But it will take 1 month to clear it in my bank.

Thanks to all for your replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US check by mail in how many days??

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search