https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/38330-rate_for_powerpoint_translations_german_to_english.html

Rate for Powerpoint translations German to English
Thread poster: GeorgiaD
GeorgiaD
GeorgiaD
Germany
Local time: 09:05
German to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2005

Hi everybody,

could anyone make a suggestion how much to charge for a translation of Powerpoint slides from German into English?

I usually charge this customer (a global player in Germany) per line, but I guess this wouldn't really work for PPT. I have never done a PPT translation for them before, so I really have no clue what to charge per slide. I would prefer a "mixed calculation" taking into account that some slides are one-sentence-only slides while others are (muc
... See more
Hi everybody,

could anyone make a suggestion how much to charge for a translation of Powerpoint slides from German into English?

I usually charge this customer (a global player in Germany) per line, but I guess this wouldn't really work for PPT. I have never done a PPT translation for them before, so I really have no clue what to charge per slide. I would prefer a "mixed calculation" taking into account that some slides are one-sentence-only slides while others are (much too) full.

I'd really appreciate your help!

GeorgiaD
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Word Count Oct 26, 2005

Either using a CAT tool or click File/Properties/Statistics in PPT.

HTH

Chris

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
Quote based on time estimate Oct 26, 2005

I would estimate the number of hours you expect to be working on the assignment and multiply that number by the desired hourly rate.

If you want a word count for the entire PPT file, right click on the file (while the PowerPoint program is not running), click on the Summary tab and the Advanced button. The word count is listed there.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Polish to English
+ ...
Rate per slide Oct 26, 2005

I've done this before and clients accepted. I charged ca. 1/4-1/5 of my per page rate (1800 characters + spaces) for each slide.

I think this is a fair rate which averages out those slides which contain the title of the presentation and "Thank you for your attention" with those containing e.g. embedded Excel graphs which require digging into to translate legends, descriptions, titles etc., as well as text boxes and other elements which require additional formatting or moving around
... See more
I've done this before and clients accepted. I charged ca. 1/4-1/5 of my per page rate (1800 characters + spaces) for each slide.

I think this is a fair rate which averages out those slides which contain the title of the presentation and "Thank you for your attention" with those containing e.g. embedded Excel graphs which require digging into to translate legends, descriptions, titles etc., as well as text boxes and other elements which require additional formatting or moving around after the volume of the translated text changes.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Addendum Oct 26, 2005

PAS wrote:

...with those containing e.g. embedded Excel graphs which require digging into to translate legends, descriptions, titles etc., as well as text boxes and other elements which require additional formatting or moving around after the volume of the translated text changes.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Yes: Pawel is right in that respect. My comments above apply to Word only. If there are embedded Excel files, image files etc. then you may care to follow his advice.

Rgds
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for Powerpoint translations German to English

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »