Thread poster: Veerle Gabriels

Veerle Gabriels  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 21:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 28, 2005

Hello!!!

I am preparing an interview to work as an inhouse translator in Germany. Could anyone give me some advice and numbers?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

John Hayward
Germany
German to English
Call for advice Oct 28, 2005

Hi,

It's a little difficult to know where to start as there are so many variables: where exactly in Germany will you be working, for whom, as what exactly etc, etc.

I've lived and worked in Germany for roughly 25 years and know the system quite well, but it would help if you could be more specific.

If you like, send me an email with a short list of the most important questions or give me a call (check my profile) and I'll do my best to help.

Bye for now

John Hayward

Maurizio Foroni  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Sharing Oct 29, 2005

Hi Veerle,
it would be nice if you could share the information you get through private contacts, since I am interested in this topic too.

Thanks

Maurizio
www.maurizioforoni.it

eva75
English
+ ...
Depends on type of company Oct 29, 2005

From interviews, I know a little about salaries in Germany. If you work with a large company, then you should be earning between 2000 and 3000 euro per month depending on the sector. In the banking/insurance sector, I wouldn't go under 2500 euro. SAP pay their translators 2500 euro per month. If you work for an agency, don't expect to earn more than 2000 euro. Some agencies are quite generous though, depending on where they are located in Germany.

Good luck!

Tatiana Willemsen-Golyandrina
Netherlands
English to Russian
+ ...
Is it gross or net? Aug 3, 2009

Is it gross or net?

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:47
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Depends Aug 3, 2009

I remember negotiating an annual starting salary of around 90,000 DM (about 45,000 euros) for someone in a software company in 2000 while other translation staff were making about 2/3 of that. Given inflation and my growing crankiness as I get older, I could probably get 60K for her today without trying hard. It was her first job as a translator BTW, and she had no formal qualifications.

I have the impression that most with agency jobs get about 2000 to 2500 euros gross per month, though I knew one full-timer who took 1200 gross to displace an older, more competent PM. Not sure why anyone would bother to get out of bed for that.

So a lot of this will depend on your choice of company and how well you can sell what you have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

inhouse salary Germany

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search