contacting other translators of the same agency
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

Hello everyone,

A few weeks past the payment term, an agency has not paid (yet) for a larger project. Currently it looks more and more like they are deliberately avoiding contact with me.

I know that the project was multilingual (English into several European languages). However, I do not know other translators' names. Would it be possible to attempt a contact with other translators of the same project via this proz.com's forum? Even if not explicitly stating the name of the agency, at least giving a hint on the nature of the large project (to avoid "bad press" to the agency, if it acutally proves this is a mistake/overlooking, etc.)?
Such communication with other translators on this matter would help, because:

- This would enable me to see whether it's only me who hasn't been paid, due to unimaginable mess in the company's accounting department, or if this is intentional.
- I would be able to make a more accurate BlueBoard entry.
- If other translators haven't been paid either, we could join forces and be more effective in our actions.

I haven't seen such practices at proz.com yet, but providing that the agency cannot be identified by such an imaginative query (only a particular project would be identifiable by giving hints), I don't think this could do any harm. What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please use the BlueBoard Oct 29, 2005

Hi Adam,
As a general answer, please refer to the relevant forum rule:

12. No client discussions

Comments regarding at a specific outsourcer, whether positive or negative, are not permitted. (To indicate your likelihood of working again with a given outsourcer, use the ProZ.com Blue Board.)

This covers both explicit and implicit references to outsourcers.

A few weeks past the payment term, an agency has not paid (yet) for a larger project. Currently it looks more and more like they are deliberately avoiding contact with me.

Have you posted a Blue Board entry?

I know that the project was multilingual (English into several European languages). However, I do not know other translators' names. Would it be possible to attempt a contact with other translators of the same project via this proz.com's forum? Even if not explicitly stating the name of the agency, at least giving a hint on the nature of the large project (to avoid "bad press" to the agency, if it acutally proves this is a mistake/overlooking, etc.)?

The main issue with this approach is that you cannot restrict the discussion to those directly involved.

Such communication with other translators on this matter would help, because:

- This would enable me to see whether it's only me who hasn't been paid, due to unimaginable mess in the company's accounting department, or if this is intentional.
- I would be able to make a more accurate BlueBoard entry.
- If other translators haven't been paid either, we could join forces and be more effective in our actions.

Take your BB entry as a starting point - we have often seen such coordinated action (if necessary) triggered through the Blue Board.

If this was a job posted through ProZ.com, please contact me through my profile, indicating the job URL.

Best regards,
Ralf

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. I think I'll just wait. Oct 29, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your response. I actually did not mean to identify the agency, but to make my query in such a way that only the translators involved would recognize the particular project. I also did not mean to start any public discussion whatsoever -- just to receive private contact from the (possibly) affected translators.

You suggest that the BlueBoard is the answer, but that's a part of my problem -- I would like to make a BlueBoard entry, but have too little data to start with. It is too early, in my opinion. If this looked like deliberate non-payment case, I'd give it a "1". If this proves to be a result of a terrible coincidence (a few sick people at the agency at the same time, overhaul of the accounting dept., or other non-deliberate case), I'd might even give a 2 or 3 as my likelihood of working for this agency again.

The particular project was not announced via Proz.com, but my business with the agency is a result of an earlier "expanding translators' database"-type announcement from this agency at Proz.com.

Once again thank you for the response. After reanalysing my data and looking at your answer, I believe it'll be best to just wait some more time maybe. The problem is that this is quite a significant amount of money for me.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't wait... Oct 29, 2005

Hi again,

Thank you for your response. I actually did not mean to identify the agency, but to make my query in such a way that only the translators involved would recognize the particular project.

I know - the problem is that you cannot really control that...

I also did not mean to start any public discussion whatsoever -- just to receive private contact from the (possibly) affected translators.

Also understood - thing is, we're in a public forum, so we cannot really control that, either.

You suggest that the BlueBoard is the answer, but that's a part of my problem -- I would like to make a BlueBoard entry, but have too little data to start with. It is too early, in my opinion. If this looked like deliberate non-payment case, I'd give it a "1". If this proves to be a result of a terrible coincidence (a few sick people at the agency at the same time, overhaul of the accounting dept., or other non-deliberate case), I'd might even give a 2 or 3 as my likelihood of working for this agency again.

You can edit your entry as long as the outsourcer hasn't responded. But even then, if you want to subsequently raise the LWA, I have yet to see an outsourcer who wouldn't agree with that (moderators can remove entry/response pairs upon mutual consent).

Once again thank you for the response. After reanalysing my data and looking at your answer, I believe it'll be best to just wait some more time maybe. The problem is that this is quite a significant amount of money for me.

That's precisely why I don't think you should wait, but (i) go ahead and post an entry; and (ii) submit a non-payment complaint through the Blue Board (you'll be prompted to do so if you post an entry with an LWA of 1 or 2).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

contacting other translators of the same agency

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search