International money transfer
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:21
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2005

Dear colleagues,
I would like to know your experience with payments (by bank transfer to your account) from translation agencies or other customers in a country different from your home country. Who covers the transfer-related costs?

ForexTrader1
ForexTrader1
Local time: 09:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Money Transfer Nov 16, 2005

In my experience, the Agencies covers the costs when issuing payment to you. West Union money orders from other countries go very smoothly and do not cost much. I just received one from Australia and it was a fast smooth transaction. The Agency paid the fee ($3 I believe).

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:21
English to German
+ ...
Who pays for postage? Nov 16, 2005

Kristine Lielause wrote:
...Who covers the transfer-related costs?

The one who agrees to cover them..

But in general this is the client, no matter what some clients will try to make you believe..

In case you wanted to keep this client although you are not able to convince him to cover the transfer costs, simply increase your rates to compensate for this..

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 17:21
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
It depends! Nov 16, 2005

If you don't wish to be charged for transfer, then you'll have to list so in your (let's say) invoice. Or even pay your client attention to that from the early beginning.

Still, when I get paid through wire transfers, my clients are usually charged for THEIR bank fees, and I'm charged for MINE on receipt of transfer.

I think it would be interesting charging the client for both anyway. I should start considering that...
See more
If you don't wish to be charged for transfer, then you'll have to list so in your (let's say) invoice. Or even pay your client attention to that from the early beginning.

Still, when I get paid through wire transfers, my clients are usually charged for THEIR bank fees, and I'm charged for MINE on receipt of transfer.

I think it would be interesting charging the client for both anyway. I should start considering that
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:21
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Money transfer Nov 16, 2005

Who covers the transfer-related costs?

Technically, there are three possibilities: All the banking charges paid by you, the beneficiary (BEN); all the charges paid by the sender (OUR); or shared (SHA), where each party pays the charges of their bank and its correspondent bank (ask your bank what these charges would be).

You should make very clear before accepting a job which way will be used. Some agencies try to suggest BEN or they say that they would deduct a certain amount from the invoiced amount. I would never accept that. Some would use OUR without asking, but the prevalent way, at least from my experience, is SHA.

Wire transfer is common in Europe, but not in USA. It could be quite difficult to agree on a payment method with an US agency. They like checks, which are slow and expensive to cash for us in Europe.

Also, international wire transfer could be quite expensive in case of small amounts, if you use shared charges. I always suggest Moneybookers for small amounts. And here's another problem - western agencies usually use PayPal and they are not aware that it's not possible to use PayPal for sending money to the former Eastern block countries.

Josephina Kooijman
Josephina Kooijman  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Dutch
US Banks Nov 17, 2005

Regardless who agreed to pay the transfer costs, my bank (hmm should change banks)charges 2% of the total transferred amount as Service Charge. Sending a wire transfer costs $40.00 regardless the amount.

Annerose MB
Annerose MB  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:21
English to French
bank transfer/check from UK Nov 17, 2005

A certain UK agency gave me two choices: either send a check free of charge or bank transfer, with a deduction of 20 or 30 GBP from the invoice (a 80 GBP job). I chose the check and my (Japanese) bank charged about 5000 Yen (a little less than 50 USD), one third of that job's income.

Not worth on small jobs ...

[Edited at 2005-11-17 20:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International money transfer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »