Paypal mandatory?
Thread poster: Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
Local time: 09:55
English to French
Nov 24, 2005

A lot of job posting are paying by paypal system. I do not want to use paypal. What can I do to get the job?

Thank you

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Trados mandatory? Nov 24, 2005

Hi Lise

I can say the same for Trados. I do not want to use Trados.
If the outsourcer says that it's mandatory, he's the boss. So, I can't get the job.

Claudia

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Claudia Nov 24, 2005

But we can use Wordfast instead of Trados but I understand your point. I did not want to use Paypal but I will look forwards.

Lise

Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
Local time: 15:55
English to Danish
+ ...
Suggest an alternative Nov 24, 2005

Hi Lise

You could always try to suggest payment by bank transfer, but then the client would probably expect you to pay all fees related to the transfer.

Good luck!

Regards,
Barbara

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Lise Nov 24, 2005

Forgive the tone of my previous answer, but if you read previous posts with comments from outsourcers, many of them say that those who bid on jobs don't meet the requirements (like PayPal, Trados, certification, native language or whatever).

So, if you think that you're losing too many jobs because PayPal is becoming a too frequent requested condition, yes, the best would be to consider that option.

I work much more for foreign clients than local clients. I have realise
... See more
Forgive the tone of my previous answer, but if you read previous posts with comments from outsourcers, many of them say that those who bid on jobs don't meet the requirements (like PayPal, Trados, certification, native language or whatever).

So, if you think that you're losing too many jobs because PayPal is becoming a too frequent requested condition, yes, the best would be to consider that option.

I work much more for foreign clients than local clients. I have realised that you have to "speak the client's currency" and you must make payment easy for him. I use PayPal.
I won't talk about PP here because there are lots of open threads for that, but I think that those who have had trouble with it it's because they didn't read well all the contract terms.

Regards

Claudia

[Edited at 2005-11-24 13:26]
Collapse

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Claudia, Nov 24, 2005

Where can I get info for Paypal? I will consider to carefully study their terms and so on. I was wondering can we do transfer to a bank with Paypal?

Lise

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try it Nov 24, 2005

Why don't you just try it with small amounts?

It is free after all. This is what I have done since I noticed, like Claudia mentions, it is a standard for Proz.com.

I am even thinking if I should get Trados to complement Wordfast and make agencies happy. The good thing is that most of my clients are direct and I show them I can provide a '.tmx' translation memory that they can use in Trados.

I don't use paypal with my direct clients either, buuuut, it is f
... See more
Why don't you just try it with small amounts?

It is free after all. This is what I have done since I noticed, like Claudia mentions, it is a standard for Proz.com.

I am even thinking if I should get Trados to complement Wordfast and make agencies happy. The good thing is that most of my clients are direct and I show them I can provide a '.tmx' translation memory that they can use in Trados.

I don't use paypal with my direct clients either, buuuut, it is free. Maybe I can learn something new and have a new payment method.

It has already brought me some benefits I hadn't thought of, but those are my secrets, haha. I am sure it will bring you some individual benefits too.

Good luck!
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Info about PP Nov 24, 2005

Here you have their website
https://www.paypal.com/

and here the latest thread about the topic
http://www.proz.com/topic/39370

Their conditions are not the same for all the countries, and even for one country they can vary depending on what people have.
For instance, if you have
... See more
Here you have their website
https://www.paypal.com/

and here the latest thread about the topic
http://www.proz.com/topic/39370

Their conditions are not the same for all the countries, and even for one country they can vary depending on what people have.
For instance, if you have an account in US$ and an address in the US, things will be much easier than for other situations. I think that in Canada you're favore (comparing to other countries).

Note that for some kind of accounts you can't withdraw more than $500 per month, but it wouldn't come to my mind to say that they kidnapped my money, it's a condition for that kind of account.

Regards

Claudia
Collapse

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
O.K. Nov 24, 2005

I will try it, if it is free but I will read the conditions very carefully. I foud a site which is in French and it is easier for me to understand the condition and so on.

Thank you for your comments.

Lise

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:55
paypal Nov 24, 2005

Don't worry about it - it is totally above board and easy to use.

I find it most useful with North American clients, saves on fees and exchange rates.

It is just another service to offer the customer. Some people (like me!) don't have time to go to the bank during the day and prefer to do these things electronically.
All the other person needs is your paypal e-mail, not your bank details.

O.

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
payment is payment Nov 24, 2005

Lise Berthiaume wrote:

A lot of job posting are paying by paypal system. I do not want to use paypal. What can I do to get the job?

Thank you

Dear Lise,

One of Murphy's rules:
Make things easy, not difficult.

So any method that would make the payment easy for you and for your client should be welcome.

I would prefer payment faster or easy to manage.
- My bank charges me 7 euro per transaction if another currency comes into my account.
- Client may ask me to pay wiring fees.
- I loose in the conversion for convertibility rates

Then I say where is my money...
The only good and also goodehough thing about PP is easy to use and your client may pay via his/her plastic card. This way he may extend payment time 25-to-40 days for him, although he pays you. The max commission is 3.5%.

That is all for now.

Good luck!

Nizam

Eva Ballentine (X)
Eva Ballentine (X)  Identity Verified
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Canadian poin of view Nov 26, 2005

Lise: I live in Canada and I use PayPal for the last 4-5 years. I sold and bought stuff on eBay with the use of PayPal, I rent a vacation apartment and receive payments from all over the world via PayPal, I paid for services through PayPal and I also had clients via Proz who paid through PayPal. I never had any problem. If you need any help do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail.

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal mandatory?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »