VAT in Spain: Is is obligatory to all vat to all types of translations?
Thread poster: Laura Iglesias

Laura Iglesias  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:07
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2005

Thank you! Feliz Navidad!

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Not all translations Dec 21, 2005

Below is a reply from Parrot to a similar question not long ago.

"El 'interés social' lo determina Hacienda, no nosotros Nov 22

Muchos de mis clientes son ministerios y agencias gubernamentales, algunas de las últimas de claro interés social y pagan IVA. He hecho correcciones para Facultades de universidades y, la primera vez, también pregunté (por la misma provisión referente a los textos científicos). Me dieron su CIF a propósito del IVA e IRPF.

La práctica es la que ha explicado Timothy - si te pagan mediante contrato y con derechos (es decir, que actúas bajo otro epígrafe que se pueda equiparar con el de los artistas y deportistas) - entonces es cuando no se aplica el IVA."

Saludos,
Andy

PD. Sorry about the Spanish, Ralf....got a bit carried away.

[Edited at 2005-12-21 13:01]

Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
my understanding Dec 21, 2005

VAT is not applied to 'particulares'

VAT is not applied to works that are not commercial

On this basis, rightly or wrongly, I don't charge VAT to universities for research papers and articles etc.

That said, some bodies I work for (e.g. Government bodies) have asked me to charge them VAT.

So maybe the best thing is - if in doubt - to ask each individual client, as they are in the best position to know.

Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
A rule of thumb Dec 21, 2005

As a general rule, if your translation is subject to "derechos de autor" then VAT is not applicable.

I suggest you should ask questions like this in the Spanish forum. You're more likely to get more answers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT in Spain: Is is obligatory to all vat to all types of translations?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search