Thread poster: Alessandra Sticotti (X)
Alessandra Sticotti (X)
Alessandra Sticotti (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 6, 2006

Hello everybody!

I know this is a hackneyed topic but I really need sono help. I've been offered to collaborate on a freelance basis with some translation agencies (though I'm mainly an interpreter). They asked me my best per word rates. I translate from EN, PT, ES, HU into IT. They proposed 0.03€. Isn't it too low? At least for HU>IT translations!
what should I suggest? I don't have considerable experience but I believe these rates are unfair to all translators, experienced
... See more
Hello everybody!

I know this is a hackneyed topic but I really need sono help. I've been offered to collaborate on a freelance basis with some translation agencies (though I'm mainly an interpreter). They asked me my best per word rates. I translate from EN, PT, ES, HU into IT. They proposed 0.03€. Isn't it too low? At least for HU>IT translations!
what should I suggest? I don't have considerable experience but I believe these rates are unfair to all translators, experienced and not!

Thank you!
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:34
Member (2002)
English to German
Ask for more Jan 6, 2006

Alessandra Sticotti wrote:
what should I suggest?

Hi Alessandra,

You should tell them that your rates are three or four times what they offered. Then they will either start whining about how greedy you are or they will be very upset or very sad.
And then you should look for better customers.

Good luck

Andy

www.interlations.com

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Definitely too low!! Jan 8, 2006

Hi, Alessandra, the rates you were offered are ridiculous!
You can have a look at Il Tariffometro, Simon Turner's site (www.tariffometro.it).
Of course, many factors come into agreeing a rate but you should never work for such low rates. How many words would you have to translate to get a decent hourly rate?!

Sorry for being so quick...
Happy translating
Domenica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EN,PT;ES;HU>IT rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »