Thread poster: Lenah Susianty

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:00
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2006

Has anyone used this EC Directive before? can you share your experience with me? and can we use this EC Directive in the UK? Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just on a question of law..... Jan 11, 2006

Without examining the legal issues in detail, EC Directives are not directly applicable, meaning you and I cannot enforce them directly in the national courts. Each directive gives the Member States a deadline for it to be transposed (implemented) into national law.

So you need to determine from your translation contract/PO:

a)Where jurisdiction lies in your particular case;

b)From that, whether the Member State in question has transposed the directive into national law; (the deadline for this passed in August 2002 if I remember rightly, so it should have been done but some Member States drag their feet and new Member States have periods of grace in which to "catch up").

c)Proceed to examine the prospects of enforcing your rights in terms of THAT national legislation (and not the EC Directive itself).

I'm assuming in your case that the UK Courts hold jurisdiction. The UK HAS transposed the directive.

You thus need to obtain legal advice on whether you have any remedies under the UK's Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (which was amended in 2002 in order to transpose the EC Directive into UK national law).

Here are the 2002 regulations to the UK Act, transposing the EC Directive into UK Law: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20021674tm

Good luck
Debs

[Edited at 2006-01-12 08:31]

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 12, 2006

Your link to UK directive is great! thanks! and thanks also for the explanation...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EC Directive for late payment

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search