Calling translators in Brazil: How do you get your money?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:33
Member (2004)
German to English
Jan 19, 2006

Hi! I am currently in Brazil having a fantastic holiday and discussing a little business too. People tell me that bank transfers into Brazil are complicated and expensive. So how do you get your money from European customers? What is the best way? Cheque? Paypal?
Thanks
Gillian

Direct link Reply with quote

Wiebke Herbig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:33
Portuguese to German
+ ...
bank account abroad Jan 19, 2006

Hi Gillian,

I kept my bank account in Germany, which I think is the best solution. I don't have a Paypal account; but cheques are definitely not an option. (See also http://www.proz.com/topic/29439)

Enjoy Brazil! And if you come to São Paulo, feel free to contact me for a free city tour

Wiebke

Jens Freese  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:33
English to German
+ ...
Brazil Jan 19, 2006

Wiebke Herbig wrote:

I kept my bank account in Germany, which I think is the best solution.

So did I.
Brazil is a great country, enjoy!!
I will be back there in March...

JENS

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
So then you take it out cash? Jan 19, 2006

at a machine?

Germany
Portuguese to German
+ ...
better to pay directly with credit card Jan 19, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

at a machine?

Only if I have to - it's cheaper to use your credit card when you go shopping. (I have Brazilian clients, too, so I pay part of my expenses in reais; for the rest, I use my cc.)

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
French to English
How are you normally paid? Jan 19, 2006

Hope you're enjoying your holiday!

I'm just wondering how you normally get paid. If it's by bank transfer, then why can't your clients continue paying that way, then you can withdraw money at an ATM in Brazil? Seeing as you're only on holiday, I wouldn't try and get clients to send your payment to Brazil. Wouldn't you be back home by the time payment came due anyway?

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
You misunderstood me, Erika! Jan 19, 2006

I am on holiday but I am also looking at working with some Brazilians here so in the future I will have to transfer money to them when they have worked for me.

Germany
Portuguese to German
+ ...
open a bank account in Germany? Jan 19, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

I am on holiday but I am also looking at working with some Brazilians here so in the future I will have to transfer money to them when they have worked for me.

In that case, and depending on how much work you send them, maybe opening a bank account in Germany would be an option? Have a look at this thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/277249
I'm not sure, but I've heard that at Citybank you can withdraw cash with your normal EC-card, saving on credit card fees. (No branch near my place, so I've never tried.)

Or, of course, PayPal, but as I said, I don't have an account, so I have no idea about that.

Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 09:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Jan 19, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

I didn't quite get, Gillian. Let me put this way. In case you want to receive payments from European clients, working from Brazil, the best way is to keep your bank account in Europe, using the IBAN and BIC codes for transfers within the EU. You can then manage your account via the Internet, and cash your money on any Cirrus or Maestro enabled cash machines in Brazil.

Now if you want pay for the services of people who work for you, by transferring money from you bank accounts to their accounts in Brazil, then I believe that is not a viable option. Unless you withdrawal money from your bank account, as I said above, and pay them in cash for their services. Alternatively, you could open a bank account with a local bank in Brazil, for this purpose of paying for the work of Brazilians, who only hold bank accounts with Brazilian banks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Calling translators in Brazil: How do you get your money?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search