Thread poster: Katarzyna Kolasinska-Malkowska

Katarzyna Kolasinska-Malkowska  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

Hello,
I'd like to open a bank account in one of the Euro countries. Of course I prefer it to be an Internet account, in English, and possibly cheap. Does anyone know such? I've read some information about German banks, but they seem to be quite expensive, don't they?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
you need proof of address Jan 21, 2006

and probably social security card to be able to open an account at Postbank (supposed to be inexpensive) in Germany. Regards, Brandis

Maria Castro Valdez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I have a bank account in Spain Jan 21, 2006

Hi Katarzyna,

I live in Argentina and I have opened a bank account in Spain by Internet. If you want the details, write me at mercastro@fibertel.com.ar. My english is poor, sorry!
Best regards
María

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Postbank doesn't open accounts for permanent non-residents Jan 21, 2006

Hi,
Brandis wrote:

and probably social security card to be able to open an account at Postbank (supposed to be inexpensive) in Germany. Regards, Brandis

Postbank is indeed inexpensive, and offers a great online service - the problem is that they don't open accounts for permanent non-residents.

A couple of years ago, I tried to help a member from Romania open an account with Postbank when she was over here for a powwow. Postbank accepted the opening application, but said two months later they couldn't open the account because the applicant was permanently non-resident...

Best, Ralf

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I was trying to say precisely the same thing Jan 21, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
Brandis wrote:

Postbank is indeed inexpensive, and offers a great online service - the problem is that they don't open accounts for permanent non-residents.

A couple of years ago, I tried to help a member from Romania open an account with Postbank when she was over here for a powwow. Postbank accepted the opening application, but said two months later they couldn't open the account because the applicant was permanently non-resident...

Best, Ralf
Banks generally in Germany require by statutory law a proof of residence from Germany (the applicant must be a resident of Germany) Best regard, Brandis

Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:14
English to Russian
+ ...
bank account for EU-Citizens Jan 21, 2006

Hello

try this.

the page is in German.

http://www.dkb.de/privat/privat/dkb_cash.php?referer=21334_zanox&affiliate=zanox&produkt_id=02&zanpid=2493103C1999965690

they accept application from other EU-contries.
BUT i cannot garantee that they accept your application.

best regards
Yuri

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Account opening for non-residents *is* possible Jan 21, 2006

Hi Brandis,
Banks generally in Germany require by statutory law a proof of residence from Germany (the applicant must be a resident of Germany) Best regard, Brandis

That is not correct, I'm afraid - there are banks who will open accounts for non-residents - Postbank isn't one of them. AFAIK the big ones (Deutsche, Dresdner, Commerzbank, HVB) open non-resident accounts (subject to status, of course).

Best regards,
Ralf

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
No problem with Raiffeisenbank Jan 21, 2006

I opened a non-resident account at Raiffeisenbank in Klagenfurt without any problems two years ago. AFAIK, they still offer the possibility. Katarzyna, if you need any details, contact me at davor.kalinic-s.tumac@ka.t-com.hr

Regards,
Davor

[Edited at 2006-01-21 17:20]

[Edited at 2006-01-21 17:21]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
these are investment banks Jan 21, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Brandis,

That is not correct, I'm afraid - there are banks who will open accounts for non-residents - Postbank isn't one of them. AFAIK the big ones (Deutsche, Dresdner, Commerzbank, HVB) open non-resident accounts (subject to status, of course).

Best regards,
Ralf
I know that type and all the banks listed. A non-Eu-resident requires to put up about 15000,- min and maintain the balance over 90 days any time and there will be no over-drawing and or interest. HVB is new to me though. I am not seeking an account in the EU. Brandis

[Edited at 2006-01-21 18:26]

[Edited at 2006-01-21 18:27]

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
DKB is VERY selective Jan 21, 2006

Total Recall wrote:
Hello
try this.
the page is in German.

http://www.dkb.de/privat/privat/dkb_cash.php?referer=21334_zanox&affiliate=zanox&produkt_id=02&zanpid=2493103C1999965690

they accept application from other EU-contries.
BUT i cannot garantee that they accept your application.

best regards
Yuri

Dear Yuri,

I know a lot of people in Germany, who would like to open account at DKB, but the bank is very selective concerning new clients.

This is quote from their website:

Privatpersonen (nicht Selbständige)

Freie Berufe Ärzte, Zahnärzte, Tierärzte und Apotheker
Notare, Rechtsanwälte und Insolvenzverwalter, Steuerberater und Wirtschaftsprüfer, Hausverwalter(Dieses Angebot gilt für Kunden aus den Neuen Bundesländern und Berlin)

No translators, as you can see.

To Kataryna: what about www.comdirect.de? This is online bank, do they also require residence permit in Germany?

Natalia

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Investment banks?? Jan 21, 2006

Hi again,
Slightly OT, but honestly, I don't get your point here...

I know that type and all the banks listed.

The German banking system does not provide for a distinction between investment banks and commercial banks - what exactly is the point you're making?

A non-Eu-resident requires to put up about 15000,- min and maintain the balance over 90 days any time and there will be no over-drawing and or interest.

Where did you get that information?

HVB is new to me though.

Also known as HypoVereinsbank Group, and recently taken over by UniCredit, within the scope of the largest European banking takeover to date...

I am not seeking an account in the EU.

Probably not, but the poster of this topic is...

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
german banks do make a distinction Jan 21, 2006

about a resident opening an account along with all kinds of further documents, such as other bank accounts and or pre-verified credibility or working status and or social security id. No bank can after all open an account blindly. Truely there are accounts for a prosperous non-EU-Resident visiting Germany, he normally requires an introduction through someone who is credible and such accounts upon seeing no transaction are normally treated as closed after 90 days. I have tried to help various friends in this process and also adv. them to approach their local representation in their own country, the outcome was similar. The more varifiable credentials a customer has the the easier the banks in Germany would be. Even in United States it is the same. England represents paramount of all. Best Brandis

Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
It's a italian online bank, which permit account for non-residents... Jan 21, 2006

Look here:

https://www.sella.it/banca/bank_products/bank_products_immigrant_english/english.jsp

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Italian online accounts for non-residents Jan 22, 2006

Sorry to interrupt but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other online Italian banks for non-residents? I stupidly closed my account with Banca Toscana 5 years ago and they won't let me open it up again as I am no longer resident! That is - they'll let me have a savings account but not a current account - work that one out!

I've had a look at Daniele's Banca Sella link but would like to compare account features (mainly bank transfer fees) with one or two other banks before opening an account.

I've done a few searches but have found nothing - banks certainly don't like to advertise this type of account!

Many thanks,

Ivana

Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian online bank Jan 22, 2006

Only for those who speak Italian, a very-well known Italian online bank (belonging to Banca di Roma group) is www.fineco.it.

5,95 euro/month + Italian taxes on current accounts with free credit card.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a bank account in Euro zone

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search