Thread poster: Hipyan Nopri

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

Hi all,
What do you think of monthly fee for email translation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:12
Member (2002)
English to German
Why? Jan 24, 2006

I would be very suspicious.

Why charge a monthly translation fee if it is also possible to bill on a per-word-basis? If there's an automated system it wouldn't be a problem to count words even though there would be a lot of small files.

The only reason I can think of is to underpay translators for their work, i.e. get a good and cheap deal...

Can you think of any other reasons?

Andy

www.interlations.com

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:12
French to English
+ ...
another reason perhaps? Jan 24, 2006

A monthly fee may be paid to ensure the translator's availability. A person may commit to being available if he or she is guaranteed a certain payment. Of course, the overall payment structure should be fair to all concerned.

Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The prospective client Jan 24, 2006

said that he should reply his foreign partners' emails almost everyday a week (1 email everyday during 5 business days). Thus, there would be 20 emails a month. He also said that on average each email consists of 300 source words (Indonesian) or less.
What do you think if I set a certain monthly fee based on that volume (20 emails x 300 source words x my normal rate)?
What should I do if it happens that some emails have more than 300 source words?
It should be noted that the potential client prefered monthly fee (for the sake of easiness in his monthly budget estimation) and he is waiting for my answer.
Finally, is the proposed monthly fee acceptable or not? Should I be committed to fee calculation based on the number of source words times my rate?
Thanks so much for your invaluable ideas.

John Simpson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Similar situation that may interest you. Jan 24, 2006

Hello,

I posted a similar query. Some of the comments that came up may be of interest.

http://www.proz.com/topic/40297

Kind regards,

J Simpson

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
"Threshold" amount for availability Jan 25, 2006

Hi Hipyan,

In a similar situation, what we did was establish a minimum or "threshold" monthly amount for, say, 300 words per day. If there are 0 to 300 words per day, that is what they will have to pay you. If there are over 300 words per day, then you do the wordcount and add it at the end of the month. In my case, it worked fine.

Good luck,

Mónica

Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Great Idea Monica Jan 25, 2006

Your idea sounds very good to apply to my situation. Thanks so much Monica. Thank you Andy, Richard, and John for your precious input. I have made up my mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monthly Fee for Email Translation?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search