A question from proz platinum members in Iran
Thread poster: Iren Rad
Iren Rad
Iren Rad
Local time: 16:50
English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2006

Please let me know how you send your membership fee to proz from Iran directly or indirectly. Or please send me this information by mail if you are not interested to discuss about it in forum.

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Credit Card Jan 30, 2006

Iren Rad wrote:

Please let me know how you send your membership fee to proz from Iran directly or indirectly. Or please send me this information by mail if you are not interested to discuss about it in forum.

Hi Iren,

Although I'm not in Iran, but would like to suggest you use a Master card or Visa credit card. Or if you have a PayPal account, use your credit card to verify it and pay your membership thru it.

[Edited at 2006-01-30 23:37]

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
US restrictions regarding "exporting" to Iran Jan 31, 2006

Hi Jianjun,

Our Iranian colleague Iren Rad's question does not refer to the mechanics on how to make money transfers from Iran, but rather what transfers would be deemed legal under current US laws. He/she seems to recognize the problem when he/she states: "send this information by mail if you are not interested to discuss about it in forum." Given the political environment prevailing today in the United States, this may be a distinction without a difference.

Specifica
... See more
Hi Jianjun,

Our Iranian colleague Iren Rad's question does not refer to the mechanics on how to make money transfers from Iran, but rather what transfers would be deemed legal under current US laws. He/she seems to recognize the problem when he/she states: "send this information by mail if you are not interested to discuss about it in forum." Given the political environment prevailing today in the United States, this may be a distinction without a difference.

Specifically, under current US laws, no "US person" (a broad term that includes companies incorporated in the United States and executives of said companies who are US citizens or permanent residents) can export goods, technologies or services to Iran. See the following website:

http://www.treasury.gov/

Browsing on that site, one can find the following:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/iran/iran.pdf

EXPORTS TO IRAN - In general, unless licensed by OFAC [Office of Foreign Assets Control], goods, technology (including technical data or other information subject to Export Administration
Regulations), or services may not be exported, reexported, sold or supplied, directly
or indirectly, from the United States or by a U.S. person, wherever located, to Iran
or the Government of Iran. The ban on providing SERVICES includes any brokering
function from the United States or by U.S. persons, wherever located. For example,
a U.S. person, wherever located, or any person acting within the United States, may
not broker offshore transactions that benefit Iran or the Government of Iran,
including sales of foreign goods or arranging for third-country financing or guarantees.

There is an exception to the prohibition regarding export of information or information materials. Some guidance can be found at:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/iran/int_guide/ia043003.pdf

and at:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/iran/int_guide/ia042503.pdf

As a general rule, that exception, that includes access to databases, has been applied to not-for-profit organizations when the databases were not prepared specifically for Iran. See the above references.

The applicability of the prohition to ProZ, a for-profit organization incorporated in the US and to ProZ's principals, US citizens, is an open question. One may argue that ProZ is a professional organization, but I have not practiced Export Control law after 9-11, when all controls were tightened. Thus, I can't give a professional opinion about it. But I would advise to proceed with extreme care regarding Iranian platinum members and to consult with the pertinent U.S. agencies.

Whether these rules are fair, or even legal under international law, it is an issue that I would recommend to be presented to the Congress of the United States. I can't answer that. In this particular case, I am just the messenger.

[Edited at 2006-01-31 01:21]

[Edited at 2006-01-31 01:24]

[Edited at 2006-01-31 01:26]
Collapse

Iren Rad
Iren Rad
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to all who shared thier ideas Jan 31, 2006

Thank you so much Jianjun Zhang: As Luis Arri Cibils wrote my question was not about mechanisms.
Thank you so much Luis Arri Cibils : Your information are very valuable and helpful.
Thank you so much Valentina Pecchiar for 4000 BrowniZ which gives me an opportunity to use a discount.

Iren Rad
Iren Rad
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my problem would be solved Jan 31, 2006

I hope my problem would be solved in the near future. Some one who is UK resident suggested me to do a translation for them and then my wages would de paid to proz.com from UK directly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A question from proz platinum members in Iran

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »