Urgent - Proofreading rates
Thread poster: xxxVagnes
xxxVagnes
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
Feb 8, 2006

Does anybody know whether charging 25% of the price of the translation is a fairly acceptable rate for proofreading services?

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 19:55
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
50% is the normal rate Feb 8, 2006

Hi,

I usually charge around 50% of the translation rate. For example, if you can translate around 500 words per hour, you usually can review / proofread around 1,000 words per hour, so you should charge 50%.

But, always ask to see the translation before you accept to proofread it, as there might be many errors. In the latter case, it is best to redo the translation.

You can calculate how many words you can proofread per hour to calculate your proofreading rate.

Good luck,
Patricia

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 01:55
French to English
50% is also my minimum Feb 8, 2006

Be very careful about checking the document thoroughly before accepting.

You might very well need to use a regular translation rate if the work is bad.

Regards,

Sara

xxxVagnes
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answers and one more question Feb 8, 2006

Is this still the case when the proofreading service is restricted to surface errors only and does not involve any more elaborate edition?

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
In practice, life isn't that simple ........... Feb 8, 2006

Vagnes wrote:

Is this still the case when the proofreading service is restricted to surface errors only and does not involve any more elaborate edition?

One thing you need to realise quickly:

Whereas you may fully understand the distinction between proofreading and editing, many agencies often don't (or rather pretend they don't).

The bottom line is, regardless of what it's called they want a delivery-ready document back from you and not a superficial glance - the proverbial buck stops with you.

Heed the advice you've been given and never quote on or accept a proofreading/editing/revision job without seeing the translated text first.

Many agencies don't have their translations independently "proofread" and when they do, you can be pretty sure it's because they can see the translation needs panelbeating rather than polishing

That said, I have one agency client here in Portugal for whom I "edit" on a regular basis and who book their editor at the same time as the translator. Just by mentioning whether it's A, B or C booked for the translation I can at that stage already anticipate the quality of the translation, which in all cases ranges from very good to excellent. I've had one bad edit from them in 3 years and that's because the translator subcontracted out without telling them. Needless to say, after my need to turn the text on track changes into a "war between red and black ink", he/she doesn't translate for them anymore. However, you still really need to know what you're going to be dealing with in advance.

Good luck
Debs

[Edited at 2006-02-08 21:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent - Proofreading rates

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search