U.S. tax for non-residents. Am I exempt?
Thread poster: Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
English to Chinese
Aug 1, 2002

I was asked by a US client to fill in a W-9 form, which I may not possibly complete because I\'m a not a taxpayer in the U.S.

I\'m a Taiwanese resident and have been assigned a job from the above agency. They sent me this W-9 form and mentioned they will withhold some of my payment for tax issues.

From some messages on Proz, it seems I have to fill in a W-8 form instead.

However, after reading some publication from the Inland Revenue
... See more
I was asked by a US client to fill in a W-9 form, which I may not possibly complete because I\'m a not a taxpayer in the U.S.

I\'m a Taiwanese resident and have been assigned a job from the above agency. They sent me this W-9 form and mentioned they will withhold some of my payment for tax issues.

From some messages on Proz, it seems I have to fill in a W-8 form instead.

However, after reading some publication from the Inland Revenue website, I\'m still confused. There are a few variaties of W-8 form, and which one shall I use? And I\'m wondering if I\'m exempt from paying the tax.

Dear translators, if you have similar experience, please let me know how to deal with it. Thanks very much in advance.
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 04:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
W8 Aug 11, 2002

Dear Li:

You\'re a non US resident therefore you need to fill in a W8 form - \"Certificate of Foreign Status\".

The agency will have to withhold a 30% US tax -- UNLESS your country has a \"double taxation prevention\" treaty with the US, and most countries do.

In my case, I filled a W8 and got paid the full sum - Romania has a treaty with the US and not one cent was withheld from my payment.

Tell the agency to pr
... See more
Dear Li:

You\'re a non US resident therefore you need to fill in a W8 form - \"Certificate of Foreign Status\".

The agency will have to withhold a 30% US tax -- UNLESS your country has a \"double taxation prevention\" treaty with the US, and most countries do.

In my case, I filled a W8 and got paid the full sum - Romania has a treaty with the US and not one cent was withheld from my payment.

Tell the agency to provide you with a W8 form, they will know which one to use. If they insist on W9, they may simply want to pay you less.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U.S. tax for non-residents. Am I exempt?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »