Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Low rates bad for your business, our industry.
Thread poster: PJ Costello
PJ Costello
PJ Costello
Local time: 23:43
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
If you had read carefully... Feb 26, 2006

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Which would lead me to believe that more than one person did the work...further reducing the per-person, per-day earnings before taxes.

Sara

...you would know that "we" = me and my Dutch wife, and I was referring to household income. Time to re-think your case.

PJ Costello
PJ Costello
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
You may be interested...but won't be happy w/ my response Feb 26, 2006

RobinB wrote:

I’d like to pick up on what Jabberwock said, and expand it a bit further. You seek to condemn those who charge lower rates than you yourself do, but at the same time seek to justify your own dumping prices (a fraction of what professional translators charge) by recourse to risible excuses such as “establishing volume” or “dangling the carrot”. I can’t agree with Jabberwock’s suggestion of hypocrisy. That would be too generous. Your argument is pure, unadulterated sophistry of the most utterly egregious form. You are evidently a fully paid-up member of the “do as I say, not as I do” brigade.

I’d also like to echo Sara’s comments about your supposed income. You cite a 25,000 word project, and elsewhere you’ve mentioned a price of 7 cents per word. Let’s assume that this 7 cents per word applies to your 25k word project, and that these are euro cents, not U.S. cents. Given the standard industry average of 2,500 words/day, that means ten days’ work for a daily revenue of EUR 175. Then let’s apply a very tight EBT margin of 80% (i.e. earnings before taxes, after deduction of all business expenses) to give daily EBT of EUR 140. For a standard average 22-day month, that produces an EBT (more-or-less equivalent to a wage-earner’s taxable income) of EUR 3,080.

Not a lot, to be honest, especially compared with the earnings statistics recently published for Germany, which put average monthly salaries at around EUR 3,500. It’s worth noting that Germany is *not* a high-wage country (it’s the non-wage costs that push up the cost of labour), and that high/low pay differentials in Germany are very modest compared with most other countries. Note also that this is the average pay of a salary-earner (white-collar, which I think is a good basis for comparison for freelance translators), not wage-earners (blue-collar).

This calculation shows that the translator’s EBT is lower than the average salary. So where’s the risk premium for self-employment. Are you really going to be able to invest 15-20% of earnings as retirement assets? And what about the contingency reserve that every self-employed person must build (out of *taxed* income)? The golden rule here is: in the first three months of self-employment, you must put away 1 week’s, in the first six months 2 weeks’, and in the first year one month’s fixed costs to hedge against a rainy day (no work, illness, etc.). These are both business fixed costs (e.g. rent and lease payments, if applicable; telecom and similar charges; utilities; consumables; insurances) and personal fixed costs (rent/mortgage, insurances, utilities, food, loan/lease payments, etc.). This should be followed by six months’ fixed costs within the first three years, and one year’s fixed costs tucked away in your contingency reserve within the first five years. After that, you can relax a bit – even if the bottom falls out of your market, you’re not going to end up on the street without any prospects.

Based on your 7 cents per word, it looks to me like this translator is making considerably less than an average salaried income, but without enjoying the benefits of somebody in dependent employment (a degree of job security, employer contribution to social insurance benefits, paid holiday, sick pay, paid training, and so on). But you obviously think this is a very high income (and of course if your “7 cents” are U.S. cents, then the discount to the average salary is even steeper). What exactly is your basis for comparison – window-cleaners in deepest Portugal?

I am, as they say, looking forward to your reply with the greatest of interest.

I’d like to pick up on what Jabberwock said, and expand it a bit further. You seek to condemn those who charge lower rates than you yourself do, but at the same time seek to justify your own dumping prices (a fraction of what professional translators charge) by recourse to risible excuses such as “establishing volume” or “dangling the carrot”. I can’t agree with Jabberwock’s suggestion of hypocrisy. That would be too generous. Your argument is pure, unadulterated sophistry of the most utterly egregious form. You are evidently a fully paid-up member of the “do as I say, not as I do” brigade.

Rather than wasting your time trying to construct lame insults, you should practice constructing coherent arguments in English. Using 40 dollar words won't hide the bankrupt context.

I’d also like to echo Sara’s comments about your supposed income. You cite a 25,000 word project, and elsewhere you’ve mentioned a price of 7 cents per word. Let’s assume that this 7 cents per word applies to your 25k word project, and that these are euro cents, not U.S. cents. Given the standard industry average of 2,500 words/day, that means ten days’ work for a daily revenue of EUR 175. Then let’s apply a very tight EBT margin of 80% (i.e. earnings before taxes, after deduction of all business expenses) to give daily EBT of EUR 140. For a standard average 22-day month, that produces an EBT (more-or-less equivalent to a wage-earner’s taxable income) of EUR 3,080.

Why use the "standard industry average" when I specifically said it took us less than a week? Because it doesn't suit your argument, right? (2500 per day is weak) Compare apples to apples if you wish to present a coherent argument. The numbers crunch thusly, for us:

25.186 x .07 = 1763,02 (euros - household/taxable income - "we")

1763,02 (one week) x 4,3 (month) = 7580,99 gross

7580.99 x 12 (annual) = 90971,88

Now, my earlier statement, which was true then as it is now, was that this volume, (per week) at this rate (.07), would provide substantially more than the average household (gross) income here in Holland. Portions set aside for retirement, insurance, and other "normal" costs of living are irrelevant in this discussion. I'm talking about gross income, absent expenses such as renting office space, etc. (I work from a home office)

So, you would have us believe that the average employed individual in Germany makes 90K annually? In a country where double-digit unemployment is the norm and has been for years? You know what? I doubt very seriously that the average household income in Germany is as high as you claim, even using the apples to oranges approach you took.

What exactly is your basis for comparison – window-cleaners in deepest Portugal?

Unlike you, I have been consistent in my comparisons and quite clear on their components. You, on the other hand, have chosen to include elements that have no bearing on my initial statements. I suppose the charitable explanation would be desperation...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please control your language Feb 26, 2006

Rather than wasting your time trying to construct lame insults, you should practice constructing coherent arguments in English. Using 40 dollar words won't hide the bankrupt context.

Having hidden one of your postings before, I would like to formally remind you of the forum rules, which you accept by posting here.

Specifically:

8. No attacks

Personal attacks on groups or individuals, discussing the personal behavior of other members or inhibiting any person in any way from enjoying the service, is prohibited.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
Ralf

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Problems with math (and logic) Feb 26, 2006

90K per two-person household gives 45K per person. Therefore Robin was quite correct in his calculations.

In your argument you seem to confuse the average income and the maximum income. 12.5K words per week was your best result. Would you care us to tell us what was your two-week average? One-month average? One-quarter average? It will certainly be lower.

Even if you are perfectly healthy, even if your clients give you the exact amount of words you are able to translate
... See more
90K per two-person household gives 45K per person. Therefore Robin was quite correct in his calculations.

In your argument you seem to confuse the average income and the maximum income. 12.5K words per week was your best result. Would you care us to tell us what was your two-week average? One-month average? One-quarter average? It will certainly be lower.

Even if you are perfectly healthy, even if your clients give you the exact amount of words you are able to translate (no more, no less), even if you do not observe any holidays and do not go on vacations, you and your wife will not translate 1.3M words per year. It is simply not possible. Therefore your 90K (45K per person) is the theoretical maximum you can get. Each day when you do not churn out 5000 words will lower your actual income.

If you do not believe me, ask other translators what is their estimate annual output in words (not mentioning the rates). Then make your calculations again.
Collapse

PJ Costello
PJ Costello
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh really!? Feb 26, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Having hidden one of your postings before, I would like to formally remind you of the forum rules, which you accept by posting here.

Specifically:

8. No attacks

Personal attacks on groups or individuals, discussing the personal behavior of other members or inhibiting any person in any way from enjoying the service, is prohibited.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
Ralf

What exactly do you call this, Ralf?:

I can’t agree with Jabberwock’s suggestion of hypocrisy. That would be too generous. Your argument is pure, unadulterated sophistry of the most utterly egregious form. You are evidently a fully paid-up member of the “do as I say, not as I do” brigade.

You don't call this a personal attack? Perhaps you have admonished this user somewhere and I just didn't see it...and this isn't the first attack or the first person to launch one. I must have missed the warnings to the others as well.

I think an even-handed application of the rules is important, don't you?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Staying on topic... Feb 26, 2006

PJ,

Indeed, which is why I first sent you a warning note in private, following your previous entry that was hidden.

Coming back to the topic, I think you're barking up the wrong tree - my impression is that you are venting your frustration. Nothing against that, but taking it out on people who consider your prices (as quoted by yourself in this topic) to be way too low is somewhat funny, I confess.

Which is why I don't consider this discussion worthwhile.

Best regards,
Ralf

PJ Costello
PJ Costello
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
There is no confusion on my part at all Feb 26, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

Even if you are perfectly healthy, even if your clients give you the exact amount of words you are able to translate (no more, no less), even if you do not observe any holidays and do not go on vacations, you and your wife will not translate 1.3M words per year. It is simply not possible. Therefore your 90K (45K per person) is the theoretical maximum you can get. Each day when you do not churn out 5000 words will lower your actual income.

If you do not believe me, ask other translators what is their estimate annual output in words (not mentioning the rates). Then make your calculations again.

He was correct for the elements he chose to use, which conveniently enough, differed from mine.

At this moment in time it certainly would be a bit lower. So what? If I set those criteria as goals (.07 min. and 25.000 per week for us both), then we should be able to meet them (eventually) as long as the demand is there. The only thing stopping us would be us. It makes for a tough week, no doubt...but we could take summers off and still live comfortably when the goals were met. The point being; .07 is not an unreasonable rate for someone just breaking into the business, and it isn't so low as to do damage to the so-called "professionals" in the business. My belief was/is that .03 is so low that it would.

Hey look, if .03 per word puts you at a point where you can make a decent living in Poland, that's fine. I just can't see it as helpful to those of us who can't make a living at that rate elsewhere, and would prefer to see such offers kept private, if they must exist at all. For more info on that specific point, please peruse Robin's posts!!!

Cheers,
P.

PJ Costello
PJ Costello
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
More to the point... Feb 26, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

PJ,

Indeed, which is why I first sent you a warning note in private, following your previous entry that was hidden.

Coming back to the topic, I think you're barking up the wrong tree - my impression is that you are venting your frustration. Nothing against that, but taking it out on people who consider your prices (as quoted by yourself in this topic) to be way too low is somewhat funny, I confess.

Which is why I don't consider this discussion worthwhile.

Best regards,
Ralf

...if you truly believe in an even-handed approach, why didn't you publicly adminish Robin, or the others? Instead, you again mention having warned me at a different point in time...silly though it was.

I think you need to go back and read the entire thread...carefully.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Low rates bad for your business, our industry.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »