Which penalty corresponds for late delivery
Thread poster: Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo

Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2006

I hired a translator who was supposed to deliver 4 files within a certain deadline. He delivered the first 2 and when he was supposed to deliver the next 2 he told me his computer "crashed". So I gave him another chance and when he was supposed to deliver the internet was out of service at that same moment. Therefore, I translated part myself and deliver late to my client who didn't like it at all. Since I never had this problem before does anybody know which penalty may be applied to this translator?. Thanks

 

Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Imprisonment! Feb 24, 2006

Just kidding!! well this could happen to anyone of us, it happened to me once, the internet got disconnected and I couldn't deliver an urgent job on time, my client understood my situation and nothing happened. It's not the end of the world. Things like that happen every now and then. If you really want to punish someone for not delivering on time you can always cut his/her pay, but again I am sure it wasn't the translator's fault.

 

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
i think you have to look at the overall situation Feb 24, 2006

Maria,

I don't think there is a cut and dry formula here. It depends (at least for me) on several different things:
- the first two files were on time, correct?
- I suppose the work was good since you gave this person another chance
- I do believe computer crashes and internet connection interruptions happen, the question is whether this is actually what happened or simply used as an excuse (these things are fairly easy to prove actually)
- the person did deliver the other two files, yes?
-you say you translated part of the late files -- how much is a part?
- what was given to your client: all of your translator's work? part of your translator's work? did you also give him what you translated?
- was there any mention of penalties for late delivery in the PO or contract?
- is this person's work good and do you want to work with this translator again?

just some things to think about...

patricia


 

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Should be agreed upon beforehand Feb 24, 2006

Hola María José.

I'd say it depends on what your translator and you agreed when you gave him the translation commission.

With some of my clients, I have agreements on penalties for late delivery (not just me, all their freelancers, of course). It might worth thinking to add that to your agreements with your freelancers.

Another outsourcer has told here in ProZ that whenever he receives a poor quality job from a freelancer, he explains how much it costed him to ammend the text and asks the freelancer if s/he agrees to receive the agreed rate minus the amount it costed to ammend the text. If the translator agrees, then fine, if not he pays the freelancer in full and never contact him/her again.


HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo


 

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:07
French to Spanish
+ ...
Technical problems happen sometimes. Feb 24, 2006

Well, if you believe your translator, I don't think you should penalize him. Didn't you ever have technical problems?
If it's his second, third, or more time this happens to him, well, yes, send him to jail and don't hire him again, never!


 

Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I learnt that he was making up excuses that's why I want to penalize him Feb 24, 2006

Ziad Marzouka wrote:

Just kidding!! well this could happen to anyone of us, it happened to me once, the internet got disconnected and I couldn't deliver an urgent job on time, my client understood my situation and nothing happened. It's not the end of the world. Things like that happen every now and then. If you really want to punish someone for not delivering on time you can always cut his/her pay, but again I am sure it wasn't the translator's fault.




I know technical problems are usual but after I learnt she was making it up because she was not able to meet the deadline.


 

Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
. Feb 24, 2006

MarJos順ernandez Marengo wrote:
I know technical problems are usual but after I learnt she was making it up because she was not able to meet the deadline.


Well if this is the case, I believe you should find another translator, a more reliable one of course.


 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Between 0 and 100 % Feb 24, 2006

Mar�a Jos� Fernandez Marengo wrote:
Since I never had this problem before does anybody know which penalty may be applied to this translator?

This depends on the financial damage which has occurred effectively. Can you quantify it?


 

Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
No more work Feb 25, 2006

MarJos順ernandez Marengo wrote:
Since I never had this problem before does anybody know which penalty may be applied to this translator?. Thanks


When I am not satisfied with a translator I simply don't send him/her work anymore. I believe that is enough.

HTH
Fred


 

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreement Feb 27, 2006

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

Another outsourcer has told here in ProZ that whenever he receives a poor quality job from a freelancer, he explains how much it costed him to ammend the text and asks the freelancer if s/he agrees to receive the agreed rate minus the amount it costed to ammend the text. If the translator agrees, then fine, if not he pays the freelancer in full and never contact him/her again.

HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo


Hi Jerónimo,

Was that me you were referring to? That is precisely what my policy is. I give the translator the chance to offer a discount. If not, I do not want any further contact with him/her. The absolute best way to acheive this is to pay in full, then it´s see you later, alligator.


 

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
off-topic Feb 27, 2006

Edward Potter wrote:

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

Another outsourcer has told here in ProZ that whenever he receives a poor quality job from a freelancer, he explains how much it costed him to ammend the text and asks the freelancer if s/he agrees to receive the agreed rate minus the amount it costed to ammend the text. If the translator agrees, then fine, if not he pays the freelancer in full and never contact him/her again.

HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo


Hi Jerónimo,

Was that me you were referring to? That is precisely what my policy is. I give the translator the chance to offer a discount. If not, I do not want any further contact with him/her. The absolute best way to acheive this is to pay in full, then it´s see you later, alligator.


Moral of the story: if you get paid in full by Edward - beware!icon_biggrin.gif


 

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well, no, but it doesn't make a difference Mar 14, 2006

Edward Potter wrote:

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

Another outsourcer has told here in ProZ that whenever he receives a poor quality job from a freelancer, he explains how much it costed him to ammend the text and asks the freelancer if s/he agrees to receive the agreed rate minus the amount it costed to ammend the text. If the translator agrees, then fine, if not he pays the freelancer in full and never contact him/her again.

HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo


Hi Jerónimo,

Was that me you were referring to? That is precisely what my policy is. I give the translator the chance to offer a discount. If not, I do not want any further contact with him/her. The absolute best way to acheive this is to pay in full, then it´s see you later, alligator.


Hi Edward,

First off, sorry for the late reply.

No, I didn't know you applied such policy (which I reckon is really fair.). The outsourcer I refered to is a German gentleman.

Kind regards,
Jerónimo


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which penalty corresponds for late delivery

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search