Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Could any recommend an alternative to Paypal?
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:16
Spanish to English
Mar 10, 2006

I have just had an extremely unpleasant experience with Paypal where they removed money from my account and returned it to the client who had paid it in some three weeks previously. Paypal are supposedly now looking into the issue but have meanwhile frozen my account. At no time have they expressed any interest in the documentary proof I have to offer.

I have several clients abroad and I now need another online bank, can anyone recommend one?

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:16
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Mar 10, 2006

Hi,
I only know of Moneybookers. I 've been using it for 3 years because not all my clients use paypal; I haven't had any problems so far.

Can you tell us a bit more about what Paypal did exactly? Did they remove money from your account without your permission? Without even notifying you in advance? Based on what? Did the client provide any proof that payment was made by mistake? (Even so, what gives them the right to touch your account?) This sounds very disconcerting.
If we transfer the money to our bank account as soon as we receive it (instead of leaving it in our paypal account), can they still do that?
Maria

[Edited at 2006-03-10 16:54]

Paula Dana Szabados  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:16
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Ikobo Mar 10, 2006

I use both moneybookers and ikobo.

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 01:16
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Me too... Mar 10, 2006

Paula Dana Szabados wrote:

I use both moneybookers and ikobo.
but I prefer Bank transfer since 1968. It is safer and cheaper at last according to my prof. experience.

eltorgomania
Local time: 02:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Third choice Mar 10, 2006

Me too, like Paula, I use MoneyBookers and ikobo ( I wonder why Proz do not add the latter to the list of money transfer services?)

try MoneyGram,
http://www.moneygram.com/

I don't use it. iKobo is more than enough.

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Currency deposit account Mar 10, 2006

If you can find a bank that allows you foreign currency deposit accounts, that is a way to go. But this is easier to do in Europe where banks are used to serving small customers with international transactions and the customer can negotiate favourable fees, while virtually all banks in the US, at least, are totally flabbergasted when a small customer seeks international transaction services; not being organized efficiently in this sense, they do it begrudgingly and at an exhorbitant cost.
It would be interesting to know the situation in México. Have you tried contacting a bank that is internationally savvy? Some major Mexican banks are Spanish-owned, like Bancomer, I believe. Try one of those and see if you can negotiate fees.

Good luck.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
María Mar 10, 2006

I presume if you transfer money to your bank account, they can's do anything. However as I don't like to use credit cards, I could only withdraw 500 euro a month. Unfortunately I naively thought my money was safe.

As for the rest, the first I knew about it was that the money had been returned to the client. I have not been informed whether the client had to produce any evidence whatsoever for this.

As you say it is extremely disconcerting.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bank transfers in Mexico Mar 10, 2006

Thanks for the suggestion Bale002, but it seems that Bank transfers in Mexico are not a viable option. I have had problems myself and there was a recent discussion forum precisely about that.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
PayPay Mar 10, 2006

You can look at
www.paypay.com.

It is Slovak-UK project. I am using it with some Slovak clients.
Check a country list.

Milan Condak

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 10, 2006

Thanks María, Paula and Egmont for your recommendations, I will check those out.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
and Milan Mar 10, 2006

Thanks to everyone

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:46
English to Hindi
+ ...
very disconcerting Mar 10, 2006

It is shocking to hear that paypal moved money without your authorization from your account,

Roomy

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:16
Japanese to English
Without knowing any further details.... Mar 10, 2006

Did this happen because you didn't "accept" the funds sent from your client?
Usually I get a message from PayPal telling me that I have new funds from XYZ, and informing me that unless I 'accept' those funds within (I think) 28 days, the funds will be returned to the source. (I have to log in to my account and click on "Accept" (or "Decline," as the case may be) to formalize this process.)

You can 'accept' the funds and have them (safely) held within your account, as far as I know, until you are ready to withdraw them as required to your chosen bank account (up to 500 Euros per month in your example.)

Was this your situation? Had you acknowledged the funds before they were removed? If the funds were removed depite having been accepted, then I agree that this would be extremely disturbing. To my knowledge, PayPal should not be entitled to touch your funds once you have acknowledged and accepted them after receipt.

[Edited at 2006-03-10 21:44]

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
The reason why.... Mar 10, 2006

Well this is the initial explanation that I received, whatever it means, I don't know.

"PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. Our team employs the most advanced systems in the world to protect the security of your account.

During a recent review of our system, we determined that you received funds from an account that reportedly has been associated with possible unauthorized use. In accordance with PayPal's Seller Protection Policy, the following transaction has been reversed."

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:16
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Paypal strikes again... Mar 11, 2006

Sorry to hear it Lesley. I recently sold my graphics card on Ebay and was paid with a stolen credit card. Thankfully they simply reversed the transaction before I sent the item but no doubt my account is now "flagged". I can't get away from using it but I never keep money in my account.

For more information on why this actually happens see:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

etc etc ad nauseum

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could any recommend an alternative to Paypal?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search