Thread poster: Banumathy Sridharan

Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:43
English to Tamil
+ ...
Mar 17, 2006

Hi,

Iam a freelance translator, quite new in the profession.

I recently worked on an IT project (English to Tamil). I was asked to translate a file in Excel, which I did, after the payment rates for this were agreed upon. The translations in this Excel file were to be imported into a PPT file by the client. But, the client ran into some problems while doing this, so he came back asking if I could do it manually. But this time, he just says that I will be paid for it, without quoting any rate. My repeated enquiries fetched no replies - they just say, we will pay you on receipt of invoice!

Since this is my first job with PPT, Iam confused. How should I charge for this? per word? Is this considered to be a new translation - since I've already done it once in Excel, and then copy-pasted and formatted in PPT.

Hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks!

Banu

Direct link Reply with quote

inforays  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
PPT file Mar 17, 2006

Dear Bhanu,

I have had similar scenario earlier. We charged the client 50% of the translation amount.

Regards

Saby

Inforays

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 12:13
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
50% Mar 17, 2006

I charge this fare...

Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Charging for a PPT file Mar 17, 2006

Hi Banu,

I've never had this situation myself, and I don't know how others have come up with 50%, but I personally would charge my normal my hourly fee for the time it took me to do the cutting/pasting/formatting (on top of the original fee agreed for the Excel job, of course). Hope that helps!

Best,

Brie

How should I charge for this? per word? Is this considered to be a new translation - since I've already done it once in Excel, and then copy-pasted and formatted in PPT.

Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 18, 2006

Thank you all for your replies!

Banu

CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
German to English
+ ...
Charge per hour for the extra work Mar 18, 2006

I agree with Brie - I'd charge them the agreed price for the original translation you did in Excel, and by the hour for the additional work you did on the file.

Cathy

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I would charge hourly rate Mar 18, 2006

Brie Vernier wrote:

Hi Banu,

I've never had this situation myself, and I don't know how others have come up with 50%, but I personally would charge my normal my hourly fee for the time it took me to do the cutting/pasting/formatting (on top of the original fee agreed for the Excel job, of course). Hope that helps!

Best,

Brie

How should I charge for this? per word? Is this considered to be a new translation - since I've already done it once in Excel, and then copy-pasted and formatted in PPT.
Since the amount of the work involved can not be assessed while not using a professional CAT-Tool, which could have simplified many things. You would have additional work like my Irish friend was indicating in these posting, I would stick to hourly rate. An excel file would generate almost equal amount of work to the client. My best guess is that the client has no idea of how these things are processed and you end up with a pile of work. I don´t know how to justify 50% of the rate, which the others are strongly propagating. If this is your first .ppt project, then I suggest it is time to try a trados on trial basis, there would surely be a version available.Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for a PPT file

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search