what to charge for tape transcription
Thread poster: linguadois
linguadois
Local time: 16:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2006

I'm a Spanish interpreter and I had been asked by the local police department how much do I charge per hour to do a tape transcription/translation from Spanish into English. I declined because I have no clue as to how much to charge. Have you guys done this type of thing and if so what would be a reasonable charge? I was thinking to charge the same as my hourly rate for interpreting. Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:59
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search Mar 27, 2006

Hi, Linguadois - welcome to the forum.

Transcription has been discussed numerous times (not sure if this fits what you're looking for) - please use the forum search function.

Best regards,
Ralf

linguadois
Local time: 16:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 28, 2006

Thanks for your reply. I did search the forum and boy, am I glad I declined the job! I had no idea it would be so time consuming and I would probably have quoted a very low price.

[Edited at 2006-03-28 18:29]

Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
I posted an inquiry Mar 29, 2006

linguadois wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I did search the forum and boy, am I glad I declined the job! I had no idea it would be so time consuming and I would probably have quoted a very low price.

[Edited at 2006-03-28 18:29]

Hi! Try this thread http://www.proz.com/post/284409#284409. I was right when I made so many questions, wasn't I? I am the one who started asking innocently "per hour or per minute running". And when I tested myself. Mi Dios! I found I was like a turtle. And I'm suppossed to be an interpreter, too
Beware who long it takes you! That's the question when stating a fee, and then find that you have problems either with the speaker's pronounciation, the utility you use to speed up transcription, or the likes. I did acquire the software somebody suggested for free, but so far I have not been able to see if it works for me. Suerte
McN

[Edited at 2006-03-29 22:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to charge for tape transcription

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search