Thread poster: Kurt Porter

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2006

Just got this via e-mail. I kind of miss the part about the "Bishop."

Hello,
I got your contact information from the directory of interpreters. I am Mrs Elena Petrov by name,i am from Russia but i work as a UN Volunteer in Africa.I will be coming over to APO AE , for a week vacation from 5th through 11th June,2006 with my mother that will be coming from Russia.My mother only speaks Russian ,so i will require your service as a Russian interpreter during the vacation because i won't always be with my mother bacause of some other functions attached to my vacation which i must attend.She would be moving around the cities for shopping and sightseeing for just 4hours of each day of the 7days,arrangments for transportation will be provided and all other exepnses will be provided also.I would like to read from you if you can offer this service and get back to me with price quote, so that all other arrangemnts can be concluded.
Thanks,

Elena Petrov

Direct link Reply with quote

Rebecca Barath  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
Member (2005)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
US Military postal system vacation spot! Apr 3, 2006

Kurt Porter wrote:

Hello,
I got your contact information from the directory of interpreters. I am Mrs Elena Petrov by name,i am from Russia but i work as a UN Volunteer in Africa.I will be coming over to APO AE , for a week vacation from 5th through 11th June,2006 with my mother that will be coming from Russia.My mother only speaks Russian ,so i will require your service as a Russian interpreter during the vacation because i won't always be with my mother bacause of some other functions attached to my vacation which i must attend.She would be moving around the cities for shopping and sightseeing for just 4hours of each day of the 7days,arrangments for transportation will be provided and all other exepnses will be provided also.I would like to read from you if you can offer this service and get back to me with price quote, so that all other arrangemnts can be concluded.
Thanks,

Elena Petrov

I had no idea the US military postal system was now a hot vacation spot for UN volunteers! Or, that they had shopping, maybe for stamps??

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 21:46
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Achtung baby!!! Apr 3, 2006

Be carefull...

Genevieve Tournebize
Local time: 14:46
English to French
+ ...
listen to this Apr 3, 2006

Kurt Porter wrote:

Hello,
Thanks,

Elena Petrov

I received the identical offer last year about the beginning of the year, with the exception that it was a man that was coming to the States with his wife and kid who did not speak English. We exchanged several emails, and he explained to me that I will receive a check from one of his client in the States and the only thing I had to do was to deposit the check on my account and send him the remaining amount after I paid myself the agreed amount of money. I did not like the idea too much but I thought that as long as the check cleared the bank I would be ok to send the money. Eventually, I received a cashiers check from a real bank in the States. The check really looked ok...The guy was pressuring me to send the money because he was needing it to pay his tickets... I answered him that I would send him the money if the check cleared my bank. I went to my bank and tried to deposit the check. By bank said that I had to wait a few days. I went to my husband's bank and they cashed the check. We asked if there was anyway to check on the spot if the check had actually been issued by the bank in question. They said that it would take a few days, but they also said that there was 99% chances that it was a legitimate check, so they gave us the money in advance of the response. I told my husband that I had a feeling, and that we should keep the money just in case...Finally, 10 days later the bank froze my husband account because it was a fake check. Luckily, the money was still in our hand...I wrote an article about it on Proz.com...to prevent others from doing the same mistake. I received several responses, and in one of them ...they had lost $10000. The person who wanted to rob me was from Africa, but I heard from Western Union that the two main areas for these robberies are Africa and Spain...obviously, the idea is catching on... Beware!!!

[Edited at 2006-04-03 08:58]

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Be careful Apr 3, 2006

I received a similar email some months ago. A bishop from Africa was planning to come to France and required the services of a French/English interpreter. Very dodgy..
A colleague of mine received the same kind of email from a prince (!!!!) who was planning to visit a small village lost in the French countryside!!!

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lucky You Apr 3, 2006

Genevieve Tournebize-Iliev wrote:

Kurt Porter wrote:

Hello,
Thanks,

Elena Petrov

I received the identical offer last year about the beginning of the year, with the exception that it was a man that was coming to the States with his wife and kid who did not speak English. We exchanged several emails, and he explained to me that I will receive a check from one of his client in the States and the only thing I had to do was to deposit the check on my account and send him the remaining amount after I paid myself the agreed amount of money. I did not like the idea too much but I thought that as long as the check cleared the bank I would be ok to send the money. Eventually, I received a cashiers check from a real bank in the States. The check really looked ok...The guy was pressuring me to send the money because he was needing it to pay his tickets... I answered him that I would send him the money if the check cleared my bank. I went to my bank and tried to deposit the check. By bank said that I had to wait a few days. I went to my husband's bank and they cashed the check. We asked if there was anyway to check on the spot if the check had actually been issued by the bank in question. They said that it would take a few days, but they also said that there was 99% chances that it was a legitimate check, so they gave us the money in advance of the response. I told my husband that I had a feeling, and that we should keep the money just in case...Finally, 10 days later the bank froze my husband account because it was a fake check. Luckily, the money was still in our hand...I wrote an article about it on Proz.com...to prevent others from doing the same mistake. I received several responses, and in one of them ...they had lost $10000. The person who wanted to rob me was from Africa, but I heard from Western Union that the two main areas for these robberies are Africa and Spain...obviously, the idea is catching on... Beware!!!

[Edited at 2006-04-03 08:58]

Holy cow! 10K? It must be working, or they wouldn't keep trying to hit us up. Normally, I read them, then hit the delete button. Glad you took care with this issue.

Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
Oh, how I miss those days in lovely APO AE... Apr 3, 2006

My first child was born there. He even speaks Apoenese.

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You made me laugh out loud! Apr 3, 2006

Kevin Kelly wrote:

My first child was born there. He even speaks Apoenese.

Now that's funny.

Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Three months ago I recieved a phonecall! Apr 3, 2006

I suspect that it was a phone version of a Nigerian trick, well-known from its e-mail version, but this time it was a phonecall requesting "to speak with the Managing Director of the company". The gentleman wanted to present "an offer of extraordinary investment possibilities"...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Twist, Same Scam or Russian-APO AE Interpreter

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search