Invoice & Rates
Thread poster: isoyo
isoyo  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
English to Japanese
Apr 11, 2006

Hi, all. I'm a newbie here, so I'd really appreciate if you could gimme some advice regarding invoice & rates!!

In an invoice, what are the least things you have to put? And how should it look like? If you could provide me some info with a sample, grrrrrreate!

Do you have to reduce your regular rates depending on number & percentages of word-matching because clients tell me that I've worked on similar documents so I can use the TM, which means, they insist I technically don't have to translate.
For example, 100%match is 70% off, and so on.

Thanks,
isoyo

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
Forum search Apr 11, 2006

Hi isoyo,
Welcome to ProZ.com, and to the forum.

In an invoice, what are the least things you have to put? And how should it look like? If you could provide me some info with a sample, grrrrrreate!

This differs according to market practice, legal requirements (predominantly under tax laws), and customer requirements.

The issue has been covered in numerous past discussions; you may want to use the forum search.

Do you have to reduce your regular rates depending on number & percentages of word-matching because clients tell me that I've worked on similar documents so I can use the TM, which means, they insist I technically don't have to translate.
For example, 100%match is 70% off, and so on.

This is also an issue that is discussed on a regular (and recurring) basis. Thing is, you don't have to do anything - you're running an independent business, so it's you setting the terms for the service you provide. But this also means you will have to figure out how much efficiency gains you have, and how much of this you're prepared to pass on to your customer. You can search past discussions for guidance, but ultimately, you will need to decide for yourself.

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Search the forums for this... Apr 11, 2006

isoyo wrote:
In an invoice, what are the least things you have to put?

This has been discussed before -- do a forum search for it. It differs from country to country and from client to client.

As a starting point I suggest you don't forget the date, an invoice number (even if fake), a description of the job, your rate, the total amount payable, and how you'd like to be paid. Also put your name and address and the client's name and address on it.

This depends on the client. If the client insists that you do not touch 100% matches, then you can accept an offer in which he doesn't pay you anything for a 100% match, but usually even 100% matches must be checked, so you can't be expected to get no money for it.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Varies by country Apr 11, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:
This differs according to market practice, legal requirements (predominantly under tax laws), and customer requirements.

In regard to this point, first check with an accountant or a tax authority in your country to find out whether there are any legal requirements. Cases in different countries range from a strictly specified template to no such requirements whatsoever.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Talk to your client Apr 12, 2006

As a minimum, you need to have who gets paid (you), where to send payment, how much needs to be paid and when it's due. Otherwise, someone else might get paid, payment might be sent somewhere else, the wrong amount might be paid or it might be paid late. However, you should also follow any specific instructions your client gave you about formatting and sending invoices. I have had clients give me instructions of several paragraphs about how to do this.

If you haven't received any instructions on submitting invoices from your client and you're unsure how to go about it, ask them. Most clients aren't interested in having delinquent bills.

isoyo  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You, Guys!! Apr 13, 2006

It's great to know that I can always get help here when it's needed 'cause people like you are there to share.

Best regards,
isoyo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice & Rates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search