How to charge for translating websites
Thread poster: David Heim

David Heim  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2006

I've been offered the possibility of translating a website, but am unsure what is the best way to charge and what things I need to keep in mind. I am aware we are not allowed to quote prices per se, but what I am looking for is more a system or methodology. Do you charge per word, per page, etc.? Do you charge more or less than you would for a translated document?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
French to English
+ ...
Depends Apr 13, 2006

Are you expected to do the formatting and inserting translated text into complicated HTML/Flash/other computer language? This usually isn't the case, as in my experience the client is always keen to maintain full control over that aspect of things. If it's simply a matter of either extracting the text into Word and translating, or using Trados Tageditor to translate HTML files, charging by the word seems most appropriate, as per normal.
If any complex formatting is required for whatever reason, I would say a per word rate for the translation itself and then an hourly rate (or even a fixed agreed rate) for the subsequent formatting work.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Per word for the clear text Apr 13, 2006

David Heim wrote:
Do you charge per word, per page, etc.? Do you charge more or less than you would for a translated document?

I charge the same as for a normal document, but that is because I am sufficiently computer literate. I charge per word... bearing in mind that this quote is for clear text (in other words, for HTML only). If the client wants me to translate Flash, Java, JavaScript, ASP, PHP etc, then he should send me the source text in some editable format.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:08
English to Swedish
+ ...
My price list may guide you Apr 13, 2006

Please see my ProZ.com page ( http://www.proz.com/pro/7599 )!

xxxcfrydman
Local time: 00:08
English to French
+ ...
Clarify the type of files to translate and be clear about what you want (can) to deliver Apr 13, 2006

1. You need to find out the type/format of files your will be getting from your customer.

2. Make sure you get the original files from your customer, rather than cutting and pasting from the website, as the data presented to you on the website may change.

3. Ask yourself whether you can handle these files.
-Trados (amongst other tools) supports a large variety files, and could be useful for translating ("localising") this website. Should the files to translate be supported by Trados (or another translation tool), you will get word statistics. This will help you prepare your estimate.

4. Will you be responsible for checking the website, to make sure it works as it should (hyperlinks, field length, etc.)? - This should be included in your estimate (hourly rate).

5. Will/could you point out any cultural elements which may not work for the target culture? - Again, this should be included in your estimate (hourly rate).

* Finally I suggest, you include proofreading in your estimate (increasing or decreasing the wordcount according to the target language).

I hope, it helps.
Good luck.
Corinne

David Heim  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 14, 2006

Thank you for your replies. These are some great suggestions, helps and things to look out for. Definitely gives me a good place to start.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for translating websites

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search