https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/4810-rate_restrictions_too_general_for_all_jobs.html

Rate restrictions too general for all jobs
Thread poster: Patricia Myers
Patricia Myers
Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 00:54
English to Catalan
+ ...
Aug 29, 2002

I wanted to bid for a proofreading job today but because of the rate restrictions I was unable to take the job. Rate restrictions are supposed to apply to translations, not to proofreading. This is not the first time that this has happened to me. I think setting rate restrictions is a good idea but only if used properly. Are we now unable to bid for proofreading jobs? I don\'t charge the same for translating a text as for proofreading it and I\'m not going to lower my rates to get proofreading j... See more
I wanted to bid for a proofreading job today but because of the rate restrictions I was unable to take the job. Rate restrictions are supposed to apply to translations, not to proofreading. This is not the first time that this has happened to me. I think setting rate restrictions is a good idea but only if used properly. Are we now unable to bid for proofreading jobs? I don\'t charge the same for translating a text as for proofreading it and I\'m not going to lower my rates to get proofreading jobs. Will this problem be resolved?Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:54
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Rate restrictions do restrict bidding opportunities Sep 5, 2002

I 100% agree with Patricia Myers. The same happened to me, the same day, and certainly for the same job offer. I tryed everyway to escape from this \"authoritative\" filtering, even by indicating in the first field my top rate (for translation), then agreeing in the second field with the client\'s offer (which was correct for this job). Every attempt failed ! So, I went to the client\'s profile and called her (by phone) in Canada. I explained to her what was happening. She told me that she will ... See more
I 100% agree with Patricia Myers. The same happened to me, the same day, and certainly for the same job offer. I tryed everyway to escape from this \"authoritative\" filtering, even by indicating in the first field my top rate (for translation), then agreeing in the second field with the client\'s offer (which was correct for this job). Every attempt failed ! So, I went to the client\'s profile and called her (by phone) in Canada. I explained to her what was happening. She told me that she will call ProZ to see with them what could be done. Don\'t know if she did. But, please, find below the copy of the begining of the message I sent to her after our discussion.

My conclusion : Registered rates must not prevent us of bidding for lower paid jobs. Proofreading is not the only problem : what about charities, NGO\'s, etc. ?

----

Copy of the introduction to my message to the Canadian agency :

\"Dear X,

following our phone discussion, here is the copy of the message I wanted to

send to you through the ProZ system, and which has been denied because

their computer was convinced that the rate was too low, this poor pet being

unable to differenciate pure translation from proofreading/editing ). Do

not hesitate to contact me for further informations, if necessary. Thank you

for your kind attitude.

---

Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can use the alternative window Sep 5, 2002

If you have a proofreading job (I also perform proofreading), you could use the *alternative pricing* window (I can\'t remember the exact wording on the bidding form).

In there you can type in your proofreading rate without having to enter anything in the top (first) field where you would normally enter the price per word.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

I have used it in the past without any problems...

Nathali
... See more
If you have a proofreading job (I also perform proofreading), you could use the *alternative pricing* window (I can\'t remember the exact wording on the bidding form).

In there you can type in your proofreading rate without having to enter anything in the top (first) field where you would normally enter the price per word.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

I have used it in the past without any problems...

Nathalie
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:54
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Re to the Alternative window. Sep 8, 2002

Dear Nathalie, it\'s exactly what I did twice, after the first failure : 1) I left empty the first field (the one in which you are supposed to enter the \"translation\" rate) and indicated the proofreading rate in the alternatice window you mentioned. Result : failure, my rates were too low, then 2) I indicated my normal rate (that ProZ was kind to remind me when informing of the previous failures in the first field, and entered the proofreading r... See more
Dear Nathalie, it\'s exactly what I did twice, after the first failure : 1) I left empty the first field (the one in which you are supposed to enter the \"translation\" rate) and indicated the proofreading rate in the alternatice window you mentioned. Result : failure, my rates were too low, then 2) I indicated my normal rate (that ProZ was kind to remind me when informing of the previous failures in the first field, and entered the proofreading rate in the alternative window. Result : failure !!

So, I decided to click on the Client\'s profile, got their phone number and called them in Canada (from France). Maybe it was this particular day (Aug. 29th) that ProZ\'system had technical troubles, I don\'t know, but it obviously didn\'t work.

Thank you for your reply, it was kind of you.

Have a nice day

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-08 08:41 ]
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Maybe it was a glitch that day but... Sep 8, 2002

Good morning Catherine,

Maybe it was a glitch that day, but if you have not done so already, I would report it on the *get support* page, just to make sure that they are aware of this.

My proofreading rates are obviously lower than the minimum rate I entered on my profile and it has worked for me in the past (the system automatically puts in $0.00 in the first field after you have submitted the bid and your pricing appears in the alternate pricing window
... See more
Good morning Catherine,

Maybe it was a glitch that day, but if you have not done so already, I would report it on the *get support* page, just to make sure that they are aware of this.

My proofreading rates are obviously lower than the minimum rate I entered on my profile and it has worked for me in the past (the system automatically puts in $0.00 in the first field after you have submitted the bid and your pricing appears in the alternate pricing window... but we certainly can\'t allow for glitches such as this to occur too often as it can cost someone a job (on top of costing you the price of an overseas call!)

The only way we can prevent this glitch from happening again is by reporting it. Hopefully there is an explanation and something can be done about it.

I am glad you mentioned it on here!

Nathalie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate restrictions too general for all jobs

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »