Rates per line from English into French
Thread poster: JennyC08

JennyC08
Local time: 17:35
German to French
+ ...
May 24, 2006

Hi,

I have been proposed a job by a German translation agency. They want to have the rates per line and not per word.
I had the greatest difficulties to come up with a price, so they ended up proposing 75 cents per line as the minimum rate.
Is it a correct price? The texts would be technical.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Caroline

[Edited at 2006-05-24 17:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Words vs. Lines May 24, 2006

Only you can answer that, taking into account your living expenses in Canada and a host of other factors, including wire transfer costs, etc.

The rate is on the low side for Germany (for someone living in the EU) but with the Canadian dollar vs euro exchange rate, it may not be a bad deal for you.

In any event, I think your issue is more on how to compare this rate to your usual rate per word.

You can evaluate this as follows:

1. Take a page of source text and perform a word count in MS Word. Work out what you would earn by charging in euro per word.

2. Take the same page and perform another word count, only now looking at the character/keystroke count (including spaces) in the box (i.e. the higher of the two character figures).

3. Divide that figure by 55 (Germany normally works on 55 characters but there are some agencies that use 60, so just double-check that) and multiply it by the rate they are proposing.

4. Compare the answer under no. 1 with the answer no. 3 and determine whether you're out of pocket with their proposed rate. If you are, do the same calculation using a higher rate e.g. 0.80 or 0.90 per line until you're satisfied that you're getting equal value both ways.

Hope this helps
D

[Edited at 2006-05-24 22:54]

JennyC08
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 24, 2006

Thank you Deborah for your input!
You gave me the exact information I wanted.
I just wanted to know if the deal was a good one or not.
In Canada, the rates for translations are much higher than in the EU, but I am willing to adapt my rates to the EU market, but within a reasonable range though.
Your method is awesome!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Caroline

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:35
English to German
+ ...
Use the forum search May 25, 2006

Caroline,
The issue of converting prices per word into prices per line has been discussed several times before - why don't you use the forum search, using "per line" or "rates per line" as search strings?

Best regards,
Ralf

JennyC08
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forum search May 25, 2006

Hi Ralf,

I did use the search and found some interessant posts.
My main concern is to know how acceptable this price is, and this is kinda difficult to know a market from that far. If I were to invoice just by keeping my Canadian rates and converting it into Euro, I don't think I would have many European clients.

Cheers,

Caroline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per line from English into French

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search