Fair trading?
Thread poster: mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 09:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2006

With the appearance of the new sooper-dooper 'Monthly Payment Option: Just €/USD14.95!', two questions spring to mind:

1) Do Proz members apply an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR when invoicing transatlantic jobs?

2) How does Proz.com justify penalising those who pay their membership in EUR, compared to those paying in USD, to the tune of over 20%, through the application of an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR?

The days of USD/EUR parity are long gone!
... See more
With the appearance of the new sooper-dooper 'Monthly Payment Option: Just €/USD14.95!', two questions spring to mind:

1) Do Proz members apply an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR when invoicing transatlantic jobs?

2) How does Proz.com justify penalising those who pay their membership in EUR, compared to those paying in USD, to the tune of over 20%, through the application of an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR?

The days of USD/EUR parity are long gone!
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDEUR=X&t=5y

mediamatrix
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The euro price is boss May 27, 2006

Hi mediametrix. The pricing has been like this since the time the euro was less expensive than the USD. We may adjust the rates in the future, and considered doing that for this sale, but bear in mind that with the majority of our members in the EU, so it is the euro rate that it would be our standard.

In euros, the cost of a year of membership has been constant for five years, so no premium is being paid.

Anyway, thanks for considering membership and for being active i
... See more
Hi mediametrix. The pricing has been like this since the time the euro was less expensive than the USD. We may adjust the rates in the future, and considered doing that for this sale, but bear in mind that with the majority of our members in the EU, so it is the euro rate that it would be our standard.

In euros, the cost of a year of membership has been constant for five years, so no premium is being paid.

Anyway, thanks for considering membership and for being active in Wikiwords. Wikiwords, and everything at ProZ.com, is paid for by members.
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I should rephrase my second question... May 28, 2006

Henry wrote:

... with the majority of our members in the EU, so it is the euro rate that it would be our standard.

OK then: How does Proz.com justify subsidising cheap membership for those (the minority, apparently) who pay in USD, at the expense of those (the majority) paying in EUR, through the application of an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR?

Anyway, thanks for considering membership ...

Whatever gave you *that* idea?

... and for being active in Wikiwords.

Frankly, Henry, given the time and effort I've put into WikiWords in the past 5 weeks or so, I'd have thought you would be offering me free life membership of Proz...

MediaMatrix

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:23
German to English
+ ...
I must have blinked May 29, 2006

mediamatrix (who apparently lives in Chile) wrote:
How does Proz.com justify subsidising cheap membership for those (the minority, apparently) who pay in USD, at the expense of those (the majority) paying in EUR, through the application of an exchange rate of 1 USD = 1 EUR? MediaMatrix

I am sorry, I must have missed the news.
When did Chile join the EU and/or the Eurozone?

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What does it matter where I live? May 29, 2006

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

mediamatrix (who apparently lives in Chile) wrote:
How does ...

I am sorry, I must have missed the news.
When did Chile join the EU and/or the Eurozone?

If by that you mean 'why is MediaMatrix bothered about such topics?', the answer is that 95% of my business is done with my native Europe and the revenue stays in my native Europe until required - whether here in Chile, there in Europe, or elsewhere. For professional purposes, I bank in euros, in Europe, not in Chilean pesos (or US dollars), in Chile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fair trading?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »