Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why do Europeans have to pay more than non-Europeans?
Thread poster: Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 29, 2006

ProZ.com monthly payment option: ”Just USD/EUR 14.95!”

EUR 14.95 = USD 19.05!

Discrimination!

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:43
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Can you choose the currency? May 29, 2006

Sorry, as soon as I re-read my initial reply, I saw how stupid it was and had to delete it straight-away. I am a linguist, not a mathematician and as my reply involved a currency conversion, the outcome didn't make much sense at all.

Anyway, is it possible to pay in any currency you want? Maybe you can pay in dollars even though you live in Europe?

[Edited
... See more
Sorry, as soon as I re-read my initial reply, I saw how stupid it was and had to delete it straight-away. I am a linguist, not a mathematician and as my reply involved a currency conversion, the outcome didn't make much sense at all.

Anyway, is it possible to pay in any currency you want? Maybe you can pay in dollars even though you live in Europe?

[Edited at 2006-05-29 07:27]
Collapse

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
May depend on whether or not you live in the Euro zone May 29, 2006

I previously brought up a similar matter with regard to Platinum membership, pointing out that not all Europeans live in the Euro zone. Henry immediately took this on board, ensuring that members in the UK and Scandinavia (except Finland) could pay the dollar rate. Since the expansion of the EU, I imagine the same would apply to the countries who have recently joined. Sven, perhaps you could ask this question as a support request and let us know in this forum how you get on?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No accusations, please May 29, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:
My response to Pernille has been blocked by the Meddling Moderators.

This is untrue.

Your posting was not made visible as it mentions a site offering competing services. This is not a new policy per se, but has been included in the new set of site rules:

Advertisements are prohibited. Paid advertising is available from ProZ.com in designated areas of the site. Unauthorized commercial solicitation, sent via the forums, profile messages or elsewhere, is not allowed. Discussion of sites offering competing services is also prohibited, due to past abuse.

Postings containing such references are blocked by an automatic filter. You can edit your posting by removing the specific reference, at which point I will vet it.

I have sent Henry a message notifying him of this topic; as he is on his way back from Berlin, he might not be able to respond at short notice.

With all due respect, may I ask you to refrain from accusations against moderators.

Regards,
Ralf

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The censored version May 29, 2006

Sorry Ralf,

I was wrong in assuming that it was a Meddling Moderator.

I apologize most humbly.

Here is the adapted version:

"Dear Pernille,

You may be right, but in that case:

Why does ProZ.com discriminate against those who live in the Euro zone?

Why should they have to pay 27.4% more?

Does Henry want those who live in the Euro zone to switch from ProZ.com to [censored by ProZ.com's au
... See more
Sorry Ralf,

I was wrong in assuming that it was a Meddling Moderator.

I apologize most humbly.

Here is the adapted version:

"Dear Pernille,

You may be right, but in that case:

Why does ProZ.com discriminate against those who live in the Euro zone?

Why should they have to pay 27.4% more?

Does Henry want those who live in the Euro zone to switch from ProZ.com to [censored by ProZ.com's automatic filter]?

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to write a support request. Why? Have a look at http://www.proz.com/ticket/25879?pwd=ff0bd3f3bd !"
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Old subject May 29, 2006

I brought up this question a few years ago, and Henry responded this being the permanent pricing politics for Proz.com. So if the Euro would one day plunge again below the parity mark we Europeans would benfit.
And that proz.com has to pay for its European services in Euro.

Everyone of course has the right to choose between Proz.com and some other service, which may have other pricing politics.

But sooner or later this issue needs of course new consideration, as n
... See more
I brought up this question a few years ago, and Henry responded this being the permanent pricing politics for Proz.com. So if the Euro would one day plunge again below the parity mark we Europeans would benfit.
And that proz.com has to pay for its European services in Euro.

Everyone of course has the right to choose between Proz.com and some other service, which may have other pricing politics.

But sooner or later this issue needs of course new consideration, as nobody can expect the dollar rising to parity in the next few years.

What would interest me, do the Britains pay in USD or GBP??

Regards

Heinrich
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's not that Europeans pay more... May 29, 2006

it's that Americans pay less!! etc etc: the same old BS about how much a gallon of gas costs and how much we have to pay for gas and they get born with a silver spoon in their faces etc.

My 2c: if there's anybody here who's not getting his or her money worth, whatever the fee is, then

a) he or she is not able to organize a booze-up in a brewery and
b) I am ready to pass the hat around to offset this terrible injustice (*)

smo

PS:"all t
... See more
it's that Americans pay less!! etc etc: the same old BS about how much a gallon of gas costs and how much we have to pay for gas and they get born with a silver spoon in their faces etc.

My 2c: if there's anybody here who's not getting his or her money worth, whatever the fee is, then

a) he or she is not able to organize a booze-up in a brewery and
b) I am ready to pass the hat around to offset this terrible injustice (*)

smo

PS:"all true, but, look, Americans .... " (sigh)
PPS: . A natural for a Canadian, sitting on the 49 fence and watching (much amused) the show.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not the point May 29, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:
... Does Henry want those who live in the Euro zone to switch from ProZ.com to [censored by ProZ.com's automatic filter]?

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to write a support request. Why? Have a look at http://www.proz.com/ticket/25879?pwd=ff0bd3f3bd !"

I don't see the point between asking the reasons for the different prices in Euro or US$ and assuming that writing a S.R. wouldn't be worthwhile.
If you write a S.R. asking for more info about the price, it won't be a programmer who'll answer, first, it will be another member from Staff, but If I remember well, this topic has already been explained in the forums.

But as you want everybody to look at your Support Request I'll tell you what I see.

I see a very particular request coming from a single member for adding a particular feature to his profile. I also see that the suggestion is received in a very open manner and a very patient programmer spends a lot of time trying to add this feature. There are problems and the member who requests that is losing patience. His attitude seems to me to be that of someone who thinks that Proz.com is compelled to add that feature to his profile. I know that programmers are working on features that benefit all the community and I'm surprised that this member is treated with so much consideration.
Sometimes Moderators have requests to make easier their job and they are answered that there are not enough resources (i.e. programmers are too busy), I wouldn't think that it's wrong to answer the same to a particular request like this one.

Claudia

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Another comment for Sven May 29, 2006

We have a new feature in forums that allows anybody waiting for vetting to see his/her posting and be able to edit it.
If you use this for making a screenshot and making visible something that hasn't been allowed you're infringing Proz.com rules. I've contacted the moderator of this forum. It wouldn't surprise me to have such a good feature compromised by the bad use of it by a single member.

Claudia

[Edited at 2006-05-29 12:56]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Proz.com may be a regd. company in Germany May 29, 2006

Hence also bearing european taxes and equally contributing Sozialbeiträge etc., this automatically enhances the Euro rating. This is only a guess, I think I have read somewehere that Proz.com has got themself regd. as company in Germany. They will have similar problems price structure like all other companies have.Best Brandis

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Henry's response can be found here: May 29, 2006

I too raised this question a couple of days ago (27/05/2006):

I got a reponse - I won't say 'an answer' - from Henry which might be of interest to those following this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/48339

MediaMatrix

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Credit where credit is due May 29, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
But as you want everybody to look at your Support Request I'll tell you what I see.
I see a very particular request coming from a single member for adding a particular feature to his profile. I also see that the suggestion is received in a very open manner and a very patient programmer spends a lot of time trying to add this feature. There are problems and the member who requests that is losing patience. His attitude seems to me to be that of someone who thinks that Proz.com is compelled to add that feature to his profile.
Claudia

I fully support Claudia's concern.
Sven, in the support ticket thread you quote, I don't understand what you are complaining about. You have been given a lot of very individual attention and support.
I, for one, would be encouraged if you could be gracious enough to acknowledge that and thank the site staff for their efforts.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
my experience May 29, 2006

Heinrich, I was able to pay for my Proz membership in dollars - nice and cheap for us sterling users! - but had to pay for Trados (bought via a Proz group buy) in euro as the Trados office is in Germany.

It's swings and roundabouts really - currency fluctuations can help us or hinder us, alternately. Having said that, I don't see any reason to peg the dollar to the euro just because they reached parity once - just because they did so once doesn't mean they will again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do Europeans have to pay more than non-Europeans?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »