Need assistance with translation fees
Thread poster: a.muniz

a.muniz
United States
Local time: 12:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

I've just moved to the US from Costa Rica, and I'm at a loss as for what to charge ($ amount) for my translations. As far as I understand, many translators here charge per word, but I'd appreciate if some of you, the wise and elder in the matter, can give me some more info on this. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by the word Jun 7, 2006

As much as you can get. That's my advice.

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 20:45
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Well... Jun 7, 2006

I guess most translators charge per word, and if you haven't tried this before, I suggest you do the following:

* Get an overview of what other translators are charging per word in your language combination. I guess you need to be a platinum member to see the statistics, but in many profile pages here you can see the translator's rate table at the bottom.

Then you could either calculate the average and use that as your 'per word rate', or you could chose to go for the highest or the lowest rate you've seen.

Just some suggestions.

Javier Herrera
Spanish
$0.10 per word could be acceptable Jun 7, 2006

I'm not quite sure since I've never lived in the States, but that would probably be a good start.
And as Henry said, the rate is as much as you can get.
I don't advice you to check rates on-line, since they tend to be much lower than in "real life".
Instead, you should try to meet translators face to face -in gatherings organized by professional associations or sites like this- and ask them.
My two pence.
J.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
Another (expensive) way to find out... Jun 7, 2006

The American translators Association (ATA) just published the third edition of their "Translation and Interpreting Compensation Survey". ATA members can buy it for US$45 and non members for US$60.

I quote what their advertisement says: "...the translators who responded to ATA's Translation and Interpreting Compensation Survey charged an average of $.18 per word, and the language combinations demanding the highest rate per word were English to Arabic, Danish to English, and Finnish to English."

You can obtain more information at (703)683-6100 or at ata@atanetorg. ATA's website address is: www.atanet.org

xxxeugeniag37
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about a 190,000-word document? Sep 23, 2009

Hi everybody

One of my clients is requesting a quote for a 190,000-word manual. Should I give them a special price? I believe $0.10 or more would be quite expensive, and I would not like to miss this assignment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
? Sep 23, 2009

Are you going to share such a project with some colleagues?

If so, how much are you going to pay them?

In our case, We can only lower our rates for "huge projects" 20%.

You need to consider revision hours.

The customer is an agency or an end - client?

xxxeugeniag37
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reply Sep 23, 2009

Alicia Casal wrote:

Are you going to share such a project with some colleagues?

If so, how much are you going to pay them?

In our case, We can only lower our rates for "huge projects" 20%.

You need to consider revision hours.

The customer is an agency or an end - client?

I'm not sharing the project. I usually charge $0.10-$0.20 per word depending on several aspects. However, as you said, this is a huge project and I'm not quite sure my client would be willing to pay more than $20,000 for it since we are talking about a manual. I am considering $0.8 per word or $0.10 plus a 20% discount -which in fact gives you the same amount of money. On the other hand, I would not like to look "unprofessional" by charging less than the standard rate.

Customer is an agency.

What would you do?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:45
Swedish to English
+ ...
Will it take you less time to translate, and check, each word? Sep 23, 2009

Nina Troncone wrote:

One of my clients is requesting a quote for a 190,000-word manual. Should I give them a special price? I believe $0.10 or more would be quite expensive, and I would not like to miss this assignment.

If so, you can of course offer the client a discount based on the percentage of time you will "save". Otherwise you should stick to your rate.

Whether or not the rate is expensive for the client should not enter into your calculation about how much you need to earn, unless you're operating as a charity.

Then again, if you're really desperate to secure the job might even offer to pay the client to get it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need assistance with translation fees

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search