https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/49279-agency_asking_for_trados_uncleaned_files.html

Agency asking for TRADOS uncleaned files
Thread poster: Tarjuman
Tarjuman
Tarjuman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:48
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 12, 2006

Hi everybody,

I am working with TRADOS and one of the agencies I cooperate with asked me to send them also uncleaned files of my translations. Is it o.k.? I tend to perceive them as my intellectual property. Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the forum search Jun 12, 2006

Hi Tarjuman,
Welcome to ProZ.com.

This issue has been discussed before - why don't you use the forum search, using "Trados uncleaned files" or "pre-cleanup files" as search criteria?

HTH, Ralf

Tarjuman
Egypt
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Ralf Jun 12, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tarjuman,
Welcome to ProZ.com.

This issue has been discussed before - why don't you use the forum search, using "Trados uncleaned files" or "pre-cleanup files" as search criteria?

HTH, Ralf

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Or Jun 12, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tarjuman,
Welcome to ProZ.com.

HTH, Ralf

try searching under "unclean files" or simply "unclean". (I tried looking under pre-cleanup but the search didn't come up with anything other than this posting!!)

I find that when an agency provides a TM they usually expect an unclean file and this seems to be standard practice - nothing strange there. I've never beena asked for an unclean file if the customer has not provided a TM.

Hope this helps!

Ivana

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what's the difference?! Jun 12, 2006

Asking for an uncleaned files just means the agency - by act of God or by the mere fact of time moving on - knows about CAT tools.

If they get uncleaned files, well, they'll push it all into some slot called "TM for client X".

If they get clean files?... Oh well, some poor boy or a girl in the office spends some time winaligning it with the original. And if it sucks, you can be sure, you'll hear about it. AND then off it goes into the same slot tagged "TM for X custome
... See more
Asking for an uncleaned files just means the agency - by act of God or by the mere fact of time moving on - knows about CAT tools.

If they get uncleaned files, well, they'll push it all into some slot called "TM for client X".

If they get clean files?... Oh well, some poor boy or a girl in the office spends some time winaligning it with the original. And if it sucks, you can be sure, you'll hear about it. AND then off it goes into the same slot tagged "TM for X customer".

So what's the bottom line? The agency can have it bilingual any time it wants and if it is a tight ship it should darn well profit from it. It just a question where the spread goes: into the pockets or into improving the quality of the service delivered (both up and down the food chain!).

[Edited at 2006-06-12 22:40]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes and no Jun 13, 2006

Tarjuman wrote:
I tend to perceive them as my intellectual property.

Yes, they are your intellectual property, as are the translations you did for the client (depending on your country's interpretation of the Berne Convention).

But you still have to deliver the translation, and it is implied in your relationship with the client that you grant the client licence or copyright or ownership of the translation. And what is a TM (or uncleaned document) but a translation in a special format?

CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:48
German to English
+ ...
I always provide unclean Trados files Jun 13, 2006

In my 7 years as a translator I have always provided clients with unclean files. This makes life easier for the client, as well as for the next translator your client gets to translate a similar doc or an update to the existing doc. Unclean files ultimately save money for the client, and they ensure consistency of terminology going forward. I thought that this was standard practice? I have always been asked to provide unclean files when using Trados and I do so without hesitation. If the unclean... See more
In my 7 years as a translator I have always provided clients with unclean files. This makes life easier for the client, as well as for the next translator your client gets to translate a similar doc or an update to the existing doc. Unclean files ultimately save money for the client, and they ensure consistency of terminology going forward. I thought that this was standard practice? I have always been asked to provide unclean files when using Trados and I do so without hesitation. If the unclean file is my intellectual property, then so is the clean file ... if I thought like that I'd never bother delivering any translations at allCollapse

Tarjuman
Egypt
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Jun 13, 2006

CathyFS wrote:

In my 7 years as a translator I have always provided clients with unclean files. This makes life easier for the client, as well as for the next translator your client gets to translate a similar doc or an update to the existing doc. Unclean files ultimately save money for the client, and they ensure consistency of terminology going forward. I thought that this was standard practice? I have always been asked to provide unclean files when using Trados and I do so without hesitation. If the unclean file is my intellectual property, then so is the clean file ... if I thought like that I'd never bother delivering any translations at all

Hi Cathy!

Actually, my clients rarely if ever ask for uncleaned files, so I thought it is kind of strange. But now I feel more relieved, thanx.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asking for TRADOS uncleaned files

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »