Back-to-back translation charges
Thread poster: Branka Stankovic McCarthy

Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 23:28
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2006

I'm currently translating and localizing the character names, locations and key terms for an upcoming movie. A lot of stuff needs to be localized as it would totally lose out on the meaning if it were just translated.
The agreed price was per source word, which is fine. But now the client wants me to supply an English back-to-back translation and explanations, should the translation be slightly different to the original text.
Would you normally charge for the back-to- back translation and explanations too?

[Edited at 2006-06-21 07:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
Yes, I would charge Jun 21, 2006

It's more work, so it's only fair to charge more. I always do.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:28
English to French
+ ...
Sounds a lot like editing to me... Jun 21, 2006

If I understood correctly, this is a lot like editing with comments, except for some small differences. I would probably go with my editing rates.

Either way, when you agreed upon the initial rate, there was no question of the additional work to be performed. You established your initial rate accordingly. So, you are now basically amending your contract - and the rate should follow. I would propose my hourly rate for this additional work, as a wordcount in this case would not necessarily reflect the time spent working on this.

All the best!

Viktoria

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Backtranslation... charge less than translation Jun 21, 2006

Branka Stankovic McCarthy wrote:
But now the client wants me to supply an English back-to-back translation and explanations, should the translation be slightly different to the original text. ... Would you normally charge for the back-to- back translation and explanations too?

For backtranslation you can charge slightly less than for a normal translation. In fact, why not assume that your normal translation includes a charge for proofreading, and then charge for backtranslation as if you don't charge for proofreading.

I find it strange that the client would want you to write explanations upfront. Normally the backtranslation is sufficient, and then the client queries certain forward translations, and only then does the translator write explanations (charged per hour).

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ah its not that simple with names Jun 21, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:
I find it strange that the client would want you to write explanations upfront. Normally the backtranslation is sufficient, and then the client queries certain forward translations, and only then does the translator write explanations (charged per hour).

and places. Again, you cannot just back translate them, you need to explain how you came up with the new name. Translation would mean nothing to them.

Thank you all for your comments.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would charge Jun 21, 2006

Writing down explanations can take a lot of time, so yes, I'd certainly charge.

HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm pleased to say Jun 21, 2006

that I've contacted the client and they've agreed that, it indeed meant more work for me and we have now come to a new agreement.
Thank you all for replying.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back-to-back translation charges

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search