How do I charge for the translation of partial lines of text?
Thread poster: Sarah Port

Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:47
German to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2006

I recently quoted a German client a price per line of text to be translated. I have now completed the translation and am ready to send out my invoice.

I should be grateful if you could advise me on the conventions for invoicing partial lines of translated text.

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:47
English to German
+ ...
Do a word count Jun 24, 2006

Hi Sarah,

You simply do a word count, e.g. in Word, then divide the amount of keystrokes (characters + spaces) you get by whatever you and your client agreed on a standard line is, i.e. 55 or 50 keystrokes. This gives you the number of standard lines your text contains, regardless of whether the lines are partial or complete on paper.

Hope this helps.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You go by characters Jun 24, 2006

You choose the word count option in Word. To do this, select the sixth menu along the top, counting from the left - I do not know what it is called in the English version.

The 4th heading down should read "characters with spaces". You divide this figure by 55, in order to get the number of "custom lines", which you round off to the nearest whole line.

Astrid

Mandy Williams  Identity Verified
German to English
Exactly Jun 24, 2006

Just to confirm Cetacea's reply.

Greetings from Cologne (where another World Cup day has thankfully almost come to an end...)
MW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I charge for the translation of partial lines of text?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search